Pod Your Reef

MP 10 guard

Saltysheep

I have smaller fish i want to make sure don’t end up as sushi. A very curious little goby in particular makes me want to put something on my MP10. There is a foam guard and a nem guard that BRS sells. Does anyone know some which would be better? It seems the foam would get dirty. But does the nem guard keep out smaller fish like shark nose goby?

NoOneLikesADryTang

We have a shark nose goby in a 17 gallon tank, with MP10 nearly turned up all the way. The sharknose does fine with it. I don't think the guard is needed, in my opinion. 

With that being said, I've tried multiple different guards, including the foam ones, on my rock flower tank. The best one I've found (and I've tried at least half a dozen) was this one:

https://www.reefway.org/store/p13/MP_Cover.html#/

It's made by a guy out of California - they're such high quality, that I threw most of the others away. This design doesn't impeded flow nearly as much as most designs do. I even bought them for our MP40's in our 80 gallon tank, because we have a bunch of bubble tips in that tank. If you're determined to go with a cover, this is the the one I'd go with. 

@NoOneLikesADryTang thanks for the recommendation and link!! This looks really promising. 

I have a pygmy wrasse that’s going to go in this tank as well and was concerned about the picking and slow swimming. I do plan on having rock flowers as well and hadn’t considered they could get caught. I’ll think in it. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

I think you'll be fine. The fish seem to adjust to it, no matter what kind of flow. In the same tank as the sharknose (it's the tank keepers SPS/Christmas Tree worm tank), there's a small yellow coris wrasse and they do just fine with the flow cranked up. 

I would be more concerned about keeping the RFA's out of the impeller than the fish.