inTank Media Baskets

What is cycle

gogoyo007

What does it mean if you never see any of the spikes in the amonia, nitrites, or nitrates that the article above says accompanies a cycle? I've been watching my water for six weeks and I've had no spikes in any of these measurements. All three of them have hovered pretty close to zero the entire time. You can see my tank here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=41618

I've had the LR and damsel fish in there for a full six weeks, and the other stuff for two or three weeks. I had a peppermint shrimp that went in with the damsel. It molted a week ago and apparently died shortly thereafter (I infer from seeing the damsel with a bit of shrimp flesh in it's mouth, I suppose the damsel could have killed it). Other than that, everyone seems to be thriving, coraline algae is spreading.

Nonethelesss, I am a bit concerned about the readings I've gotten. I kept expecting to see the amonia, nitrites, or nitrates peaks, but they never did.

Originally posted by kolmogorov

What does it mean if you never see any of the spikes in the amonia, nitrites, or nitrates that the article above says accompanies a cycle? I've been watching my water for six weeks and I've had no spikes in any of these measurements. All three of them have hovered pretty close to zero the entire time. You can see my tank here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=41618

Nonethelesss, I am a bit concerned about the readings I've gotten. I kept expecting to see the amonia, nitrites, or nitrates peaks, but they never did.

Same here. I have a 20g with about 35lbs of live rock and 20lbs of Arag-Alive sand. Someone said since I loaded up with so much to begin with, my tank would probably pretty much already be cycled. The first week, my nitrates went up to 20 after I added two damsels..... but everything else stayed at 0. Since then, nitrates have dropped to 10 while again everything else stayed at 0. pH started at 8.0 the first day, gradually rose to 8.5 over the course of a week, and has now come down to 8.3 and stayed pretty stable.

I'm a n00b so don't take my word as golden, but I guess since the LR was cured at the LFS and all... it's basically ready from the beginning. It's not the cycle that you and I are waiting on... it's the rest of the trace elements that we're probably not even testing for... calcium, KH, etc... to become stable.

Archived