SaltCritters.com

Hi all! I have started to breed saltwater fish since this year june, and so far all i have are a pair of neon gobies. I will be starting banggais by the end of the year. 

Here is my list of fish that i plan on breeding! 

chalk bass

banggai cardinals

neon gobies

blackray shrimp gobies

royal grammas

The caribbean fish are expensive around my area, so i plan on supplying shops for cheap!

I will post photos later

• 1 month later...

I will now finally get to taking photos of the setups

my neon gobies’s light broke and I haven’t gotten a light for the banggai tank. The fish i haven’t found a good pair of banggais yet. I have two yasha gobies that I do not know the gender of. I will be adding a snapping shrimp to see how they will react

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also have a feeling that the neon gobies that I bought as a pair are actually two females

I know that at least some species of gobies can change sex.  However, I can't remember the details.  I'd think that you could find out with some digging.

What food are you planning to feed the fry with?  I believe that even rotifers are too large for gobies.

I've raised several batches of Banggai cardinals.  They are relatively easy because they are already baby fish when the father releases them.  I fed mine decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, letting the uneaten eggs hatch in the tank with the babies.  Eventually, they get transitioned to eating shaved frozen mysis, then whole frozen mysis.

• Like 1

neon goby babies are reportedly 3-4mm in size so rotifers would be good, i am trying to find a good food source for yasha babies. Hope all goes well! i should get a microscope to look at the yasha babies. will put that on my wish list

• Like 1

Like Todd, our initial trials with C. personatus larvae were unsuccessful. They simply would not accept rotifers as a first food.  It wasn’t until Todd started to offer a small ciliate that he succeeded with this species.  Here at ORA we offered the larvae cultured copepod nauplii under 75(!) microns and we were pleased to see them settle out around 30 days post hatch.   While small, these fish are pretty quick to mature, we were amazed to see fertile spawns produced by individuals of this species that are barely 100 days old!

source: https://www.orafarm.com/blog/2014/05/02/masked-goby/

• Like 1

interesting thing i found out today, the yashas eat pellets even though the shop told me they only ate mysis. Now this will be easier to feed than my neon gobies...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello people! My neon gobies laid eggs!!!!

so here is the set up for food and babies

i have bio media in the babies tank to speed up the cycle

B6B64576-1506-4F36-A6CD-302AAD15A8B0.jpeg

6962BACF-D05A-4FCD-BBCF-292B741D5C14.jpeg

AE8CFAFB-B105-4247-A5BE-81B08F0352FF.jpeg

Copepods culture coming soon!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I have a phyto culture and the rotifer culture is just a phyto culture that has been contaminated with rotifers. And the rotifers ate almost all the phyto in their culture 

so I had to buy bottled phyto to feed them

i think I’ll use it to colour the water too

• Like 2