Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Combining orbit marine and prime hd

Arun

I do have 29 gallon tank 30 x 20 x 10. I do have 24 inch orbit marine. Planning add one more. Do I need to go with the same or can I add ai prime he in addition to orbit marine.

Just general (nonspecific information): While adding a different light fixture might not look uniform (depending on the placement, optics, and color spectrum), there should be nothing (besides available space) preventing you from mixing two different fixtures.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Arun said:

Do I need to go with the same

Need to?  No.

But a single spotlight has the same problem in a rectangular tank like this that it would ordinarily have....you'd really be best off with two of them to cover the space better/more completely.

You'd end up with three fixtures.

Unless you'd really rather run spotlights (which is a fine choice) then IMO just add a second LED strip and be done with it.  The Current USA controller you have already has a second hookup, correct?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arun said:

concern about lPs corals.

I assume that's SPS.

You might consider even replacing it with something else, versus supplementing what you already have.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 3:28 AM, Arun said:

Yes it has, concern about lPs corals. Thaths why thought of adding new one

Is what you have a plain Orbit Marine?  Or is it one of the higher-powered "IC" or "Pro" models?  (If you don't know, does it have a model# on it anywhere?)

MainelyReefer

https://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf
your tank is too deep for the orbits.  I just bought a pair of the 48” ic loops to be combined with a t5 and only felt comfortable doing so because the tank they will be used on is only 10” deep... actual water depth 8 3/4” so I assumed I would end up with about 190 par beneath the orbits alone.  At 20” deep you are anywhere from 115-10 par depending on your fixture which is miserable!

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, mcarroll said:

Is what you have a plain Orbit Marine?  Or is it one of the higher-powered "IC" or "Pro" models?  (If you don't know

It’s just orbit marine. Am planning to go with sps/ lps corals and anemones possible. 

9 hours ago, Arun said:

It’s just orbit marine.

Those are really best for very shallow tanks....the IC models have stronger lenses for better water penetration.

I would either go for two Prime's or two new Current IC's.  Not sure what makes the most sense, but maybe sell or repurpose the Orbit Marine setup for something else.

I think Prime's are about $200 each...about $400 for the setup, plus mounting costs.

It's $250 for a dual-light 24" Orbit IC Bluetooth kit right now, for comparison.  👍

image.png.cd1a5f7d56801ce280985be82e9797e8.png

$230 for this 24" combo...infrared control, with a pump:

image.png.eb4fd4f67e6ffde90c05bf213977a92a.png

• Like 1