SaltCritters.com

leather toadstool coral polyps go from white to brown

dmitriy loos

so my leather toadstool originally was white, and lately the polyps have been brown and the coral seems to not close up as much anymore (from what i’ve noticed). maybe while i’m asleep it closes more but i usually stay up past when the tank lights go off and i see if still opened up. also has not shed in a very long time. not concerned about the flow because i’ve had it in the same place for months and it seemed fine before and i texted my water at a local store and they said the levels were good. any ideas? i thought it was browning out but i gave it more light for the past month and it seems to just be getting more brown and less white. 

image.jpg

From what I know about leathers, It's pretty rare to keep a truly white leather white, they usually turn shades of tan. I'm not certain, but I think alkalinity stability is crucial. From the photo, it looks healthy even if it's not the color you were planning on.

Tan is from their dino's (symbionts).  Normal and healthy.  

Totally white would be bleached or near-bleached.  Very possible and somewhat common for a brand new coral to be bleached due to stress from handling.

So "tanning up" is indicative of repair and healing if you ask me.  Good job!  👍