inTank Media Baskets

New tank in town

drskipjack

Hi All, 

My name is Davis, I live in Minneapolis, and I'm just getting my feet wet in the reef hobby! I've been wanting a saltwater aquarium since I was in elementary school, and now that I am done with college and finally feeling settled enough to take on the big task, I'm ecstatic about finally having one in my home! 

I picked up a used IM Nuvo Fusion 20g with an AI Prime HD light. So far the aquarium has been running for about 5 weeks. 

Setup:
-IM Nuvo Fusion 20g
-AI HD Prime LED light
-Sicce syncra pump (love, so quiet)
-Jebao powerhead/controller 

-Autoaqua Smart ATO on the way
~20 lbs of live rock from another hobbyist

Current Livestock:
-CB Neon Goby
-Liopropoma rubre

-Peppermint shrimp
-CUC of dwarf hermits, ceriths, astraeas, nassarius, bumblebee snail 
-Boxing crab

-Palythoa, zoanthids, Digi, monti cap, mushrooms, purple gorgonian, knobby sea rod gorg, Duncan, Acan, 

-Assorted macroalgae

Here's a pretty recent FTS: E6A2AB69-0290-4A27-A24D-512A8176C211.thumb.JPG.7dbd431f283eaa4bb0bbeab8ecd410b8.JPG

Potential Future Livestock Options (input appreciated!):
-Goby/pistol shrimp pair, 

-Radial filefish (CB)

-Small wasp/scorpionfish sp. 

-Pikeblenny

-Barnacle blenny

-Possum wrasse

-More shrimps

I want to give this aquarium a very naturalistic look, keeping simple corals, with nothing too flashy/neon. I'm a huge plant nerd as well, so I'm always looking for more macros to add to give it a jungly look. Anyways, I've learned so much from forums like this, and I'm excited to finally be able to participate!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, drskipjack said:

Hi All, 

My name is Davis, I live in Minneapolis, and I'm just getting my feet wet in the reef hobby! I've been wanting a saltwater aquarium since I was in elementary school, and now that I am done with college and finally feeling settled enough to take on the big task, I'm ecstatic about finally having one in my home! 

I picked up a used IM Nuvo Fusion 20g with an AI Prime HD light. So far the aquarium has been running for about 5 weeks. 

Setup:
-IM Nuvo Fusion 20g
-AI HD Prime LED light
-Sicce syncra pump (love, so quiet)
-Jebao powerhead/controller 

-Autoaqua Smart ATO on the way
~20 lbs of live rock from another hobbyist

Current Livestock:
-CB Neon Goby
-Liopropoma rubre

-Peppermint shrimp
-CUC of dwarf hermits, ceriths, astraeas, nassarius, bumblebee snail 
-Boxing crab

-Palythoa, zoanthids, Digi, monti cap, mushrooms, purple gorgonian, knobby sea rod gorg, Duncan, Acan, 

-Assorted macroalgae

Here's a pretty recent FTS: E6A2AB69-0290-4A27-A24D-512A8176C211.thumb.JPG.7dbd431f283eaa4bb0bbeab8ecd410b8.JPG

-Radial filefish (CB)

-Small wasp/scorpionfish sp. 

-Pikeblenny

-Barnacle blenny

-Possum wrasse

-More shrimps

I want to give this aquarium a very naturalistic look, keeping simple corals, with nothing too flashy/neon. I'm a huge plant nerd as well, so I'm always looking for more macros to add to give it a jungly look. Anyways, I've learned so much from forums like this, and I'm excited to finally be able to participate!

:welcome:

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @drskipjack! It looks like you're off to a great beginning with your nano reef, I like your naturalistic approach.

3 hours ago, drskipjack said:

I've always found goby and pistol shrimp pairs to be the most interesting to observe. They'll help keep your sand bed stirred too.

• 1 month later...

Here is an updated photo of my aquarium!

DSC02289.thumb.jpeg.70ea056385e1b28bea77cc7165d93c1c.jpeg

I have been enjoying this hobby immensely. I recently added many more macroalgaes from Reef Cleaners (very positive experience with them!), a dwarf filefish, and many more corals, including a gorgeous dendro. I'm going through a bad breakup/job loss, so I will be tearing the aquarium down. If you're in the Minneapolis area, lmk if you're interested in purchasing some fish/corals, etc! Check out my post in the classifieds sections once I reach the 15 posts necessary to post there!

DSC02306.jpeg

• Like 3