Coral Vue Hydros

Encourage a candy cane head to split?

Nelle’s Nano

Nelle’s Nano

I have a green candy cane, one head.  It seems very healthy and eats well but it shows no signs of splitting after several months.  Has anyone had any luck encouraging a head of candy cane to split?  Maybe a small slit through the mouth?  Or supplements?  I’m feeding reef roofs, baby brine shrimp, chunks of mysis and supplementing with Reef Trace.   Or do I just need to be more patient?  

Patience, stability, target feeding, and lighting.  For feeding, I'd probably place a mysis shrimp on its feeder tentacles, maybe a couple of times a week.  I wouldn't try to split it, and supplements aren't really necessary except to maintain stability (replenish consumed elements).

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

• Like 1

Just let it be. Patience is key in this  hobby.

Funny story though - I have a duncan and one time I accidentally dropped a torch of mine on top of it  while re-scaping. It stung the hell out of my duncan. It was only one head at the time and I think I shocked it into survival mode because it grew 5 new heads shortly after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1