SaltCritters.com

New 6.5 gal tank Lit with LED's

electroland

Wow, great setup! Electroland do u have resistors on these babies? Or is it basically direct from powersource to LEDS. After reading up a little on LEDs i want to make suppliment lighting for my nano, along wit my pcs. Also, im not really familiar with soldering, do you think home depot has soldering stations? or sells soldering kits? Thanks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my calculations, the lower power LEDs (20k mcd) are 10 times cheaper per light unit (depending on place purchased +shipping).

That's assuming the 60lum = 60k mcd, but they're not directly equivalent because beam spread is a factor. So take it with a grain of salt unless they have a similar beam spread. Adjustment factor would be roughly (LEDarea/LUXarea)*100 assuming the same height from surface. It'd take a little more math to get it from angles, but that's trig and I don't feel like breaking out the ol' math book.;)

ebay store for led's

http://stores.ebay.com/BestHongKong-LED-and-More

the 100 of 20k white for 19.99 +10 ship

Luxeon III ref

http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php...k_str=196::198;)

i guessed ~ dollar shipping, so i'm probably off a little.

• 2 months later...

Update on the led project. i have found some interesting stuff when doing this led project. led's will grow corals and make a great looking tank. The problems that i found actually came with the led's, not all led's are the same. My last batch of 20k mcd white led’s i bought have all went bad not sure why because they were all being underpowered which should help with life. Most of the blue led's were still kicking. I think when making a tank that is lit with led's there are some good observations that i have made, you need to fully enclose the led's so that no moisture can get to them. I also believe that the LED's on the market that claim to be 20k mcd are just 10k led's being over driven and the color pays for this considerably (they have much more of a yellow tone to them and i did notice some bad algae growth with them). I did try some new UFO led’s that were 1watt but the viewing angle was way to wide and the led's were not intense enough at all.

If I ever get around to messing with this again I will do the following, I will PCB mount the led’s and place them in a full enclosure (I think the pcb mounted led’s will have better current flow and be a much nicer final product), I will also not buy the 20k mcd led’s the 10k’s make for a much nicer looking tank.

My main goal with this project was to test out led’s for a light source. It does work really well and now that 10k mcd leds are pretty cheep on eBay I believe given the right enclosure for the led’s they will last for a good amount of time. Just remember to have a splash guard on the light and allow minimal moisture to the led’s.

I have just updated my little tank with a Current USA Dual Satellite dual 18watt CF 12” fixture ( really nice I must say it would have been a really nice enclosure to house the led project ) and I will say I am missing the shimmer already but maybe I can modify it with some LED’S !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived