Pod Your Reef

Greg's 22 Gallon

ReefGoat

This will likely come together over a period of 6 months for a couple of reasons. Target date for finished build is around mid may. Or when we get back into our home that was destroyed by hurricane Laura. Its currently gutted and missing a third of the roof. So I'm SHACKING UP with the parents for now lol (HURRY UP STATE FARM!!!). I had a previous journal for a cadlights 45g shallow that I broke down after a several months long battle with dinos and was very discouraged with myself. I had it stored in my son's closet. The only thing I am salvaging from that build is the sump because it was such a mess from the storm. I just trashed everything else. I'm starting the journal early because this will be part DIY build and I want to track my progress and be able to look back on it. I am currently working on the stand. I'll post some pictures of it tonight possibly. 

Stand: built by me and wife

Tank: 22g Mr. Aqua

Lighting: ATI 24" 8-bulb w/reef Brite led strips

--blue plus

--actinic

--coral plus

--blue plus

--blue plus

--coral plus

--actinic

--blue plus 

Overflow: fiji cube 400 gph

Sump: Cadlights versa, plumbing by yours truly 

Return pump: undecided 

Skimmer: undecided

Ato: undecided

Heater: undecided

Powerhead: MP-10

Salt: Fritz RPM

Rodi: brs 7 stage

Rock and Sand will all be sourced from FJW in Houston Texas because it was recommended to me by someone I trust. I will also add 15lbs from KP aquatics for diversity. We shall see how it goes. I will be straying away from dead dry rock this time. Edited 

No plans for exact livestock yet because I'm not going to get ahead of myself and ill let the tank decide when the time is right. Of course it'll be nano fish. But as far as coral goes. Not too sure yet. Thats where I'll let the tank guide the way. But the overall goal is lots of encrusting corals, zoanthids, Chalice and Montis (plating and encrusting).

Ill start the journal off with a picture of me standing in my attic after Laura. Tonight ill post some pictures of the stand progress. Its about 70 percent complete.

20200905_090349.jpg

20200905_090347.jpg

• Wow 1

All wood on this stand is reclaimed wood from our home. The 2x4s came from the attic, the top came from our built in entertainment center and the aged wood came from the fence. The front door of this piece will be a barn door sliding style. Made out of aged fence as well. Just waiting on the hardware to come in. Whats left is to install the door, middle supports, bottom top wood, leveling feet and sand the top and stain it really dark. Me and the wife are at odds about painting the aged wood white or leaving it as is. What do you think? 

20201019_183326~2.jpg

20201019_183306~2.jpg

20201019_183317.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

Oh man, sorry for your loss, hope the house rebuild and everything else goes smooth from here on out. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons, the stand is coming out great (kind of a rustic look) using destroyed house materials. I would leave it as is, I think it looks cool. Loving that you chose the 22 gallon Mr aqua as well, but I'm biased that's what mine is too😀.  Will be following and good luck with everything (life and tank).

• Thanks 1

Leveling feet procured! I hope they're robust enough. By my calculations. This stand will be seeing roughly 450 pounds fully loaded tank, sump, water, rock and sand. Added a few pounds in for misc. I think these will be fine. 

20201020_170806.jpg

MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

Leveling feet procured! I hope they're robust enough. By my calculations. This stand will be seeing roughly 450 pounds fully loaded tank, sump, water, rock and sand. Added a few pounds in for misc. I think these will be fine. 

20201020_170806.jpg

Those are nice leveling feet with the metal insert, I can only find plastic if you have a link post it haha.  I also like the gladiator, and I don’t mind the rustic look of the old fencing but perhaps white would be in style and seal the wood from further damage.   is less noticeable on white than wood too

• Thanks 1

Well thats it for tonight. All thats left now is to make the door and and install the barn door kit. Of course sand and stain the top. Julia made a comprise with me. I can leave the aged wood that color. But the top white. I'm not sure. I think if it gets painted. I'd rather the top stained dark and the aged wood to be white. Its not the color of the wood I'm attached to. Its the wood itself because me and my father built that fence ourselves 12 years ago. 

Edit: also have to put the top on the bottom part for the sump and the false wall for the wiring. 

20201020_184946.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

Those are nice leveling feet with the metal insert, I can only find plastic if you have a link post it haha.  I also like the gladiator, and I don’t mind the rustic look of the old fencing but perhaps white would be in style and seal the wood from further damage.   is less noticeable on white than wood too

So the leveling feet i got from lowes. They're the ones by the casters with the plastic. What I did was go back to the nuts and bolts section and in the "furniture parts" drawer. You'll find those metal pieces. Just make sure to test the fit of the screw part. Thanks i love the "jeep truck" as my son calls it. Lol

Goal for the weekend is to finish the stand. I compromised with the wife and the stand will be painted white and antiqued. The top of the stand will be stained dark almost black. I'm ordering the tank, overflow and plumbing Friday. So this will be the first haul and I'm pretty excited. Piping will be black and fittings white. I have decided on a few peices of gear that were undecided. For powerheads I will be using 2 aqamai kps. One on each end of the tank but opposite sides of each other. While we're on the topic of flow. I have also decided on a return pump. Since I was so impressed with the pump I had last time. I will be using the same one. Reef octopus varios (smallest model). My plan for flow in the tank is to have one return out of the pump and then have it split and go to two nozzles. One on each side of the tank. The overflow and return nozzles will all be on the back of the tank not the side. I think the flow will be sufficient so there's no dead areas. I'm still undecided on rest of gear. So stay tuned. Next project DRILLING THE TANK!!!

• Like 1

Awww yissss! So I ended up having to go with the fiji cube overflow because the eshoppes was out of stock. I wasn't partial to either one. So no harm...I ended up getting the tank, the overflow and all the plumbing. The only parts I'm lacking is a check valve and 2 unions. They didn't have it in the sizes I needed. 

Screenshot_20201030-094030_Photos.jpg

So the stand is all but complete. Just have to paint the inside. I ran out of white paint so I called it a day.....lol. I ended up having to compromise on the door. I didn't think the barn door thing through and I just couldn't get it to work. All in all I think it was a pretty successful project. Me and my wife both stood on top of it and it's solid as a rock. Some of the first haul is starting to trickle in. I need to run back to my house and pick up the ones that have been delivered. I can't wait until my house is finished lol. 

20201106_110418.jpg

20201106_110723.jpg

• Like 3

Well the drilling went well. No chips and no cracks!!! Not bad for my first time. I still don't have the return bit or fittings. Even though this went flawlessly. I still get the sense I cheated fate and am nervous to drill the returns. I am tossing around using the no drill returns but I'm still not sure. I'll probably just drill it for the cleaner look the hole for this overflow was gigantic. So if I can pull that off. I figure drilling a small hole for a 1/2" return won't be a problem. The tank itself is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to this thing wet. Once the tank is finished being drilled. I'll probably start on the diy lid from brs. As far a the DIY parts of this project. The list to complete is in order below. 

1. Finish painting inside of stand.

2. Drill return holes in tank. (Maybe see above)

3. Paint back of tank black

4. Build net lid (don't want any carpet surfers this time). 

5. Design plumbing. (Probably this spring)

As far as the plumbing goes I won't construct the plumbing until I'm getting close to moving back in my house. Which is still a good ways out.

20201108_124326.jpg

20201108_124212.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot to post a picture of the drilling results. I drilled it to have about 1" maybe a little less below the rim. Because I'm going to have a lot of flow in this tank and I needed room for the lid to sit inside the rim. I couldn't have the water level too high. 

20201108_130933.jpg

20201108_130838.jpg

• Like 5
Just now, Reefkid88 said:

Mic check mic check !!! Tagging along for a more than likely marvelous build !! 

I hope man. I've failed miserably twice before. Dinos back to back both tanks. In everything I've been soaking up these past few months I think I'm armed to actually be successful this time. I've been binging on yalls journals, melev and lou ekus. Im pretty sure my problem both times was driving my nutrients down to zero in both tanks. Too many water changes and was dosing microbacter7 (carbon dosing) like a fool lol. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

I hope man. I've failed miserably twice before. Dinos back to back both tanks. In everything I've been soaking up these past few months I think I'm armed to actually be successful this time. I've been binging on yalls journals, melev and lou ekus. Im pretty sure my problem both times was driving my nutrients down to zero in both tanks. Too many water changes and was dosing microbacter7 (carbon nmlol. 

Nm

So I picked up a light!!! Its not EXACTLY what I was looking for in terms of length. But it'll probably be more than I need and ill have room to grow in the far future if it ever comes to that point (DONT WORRY IM NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT ANOTHER TANK RIGHT NOW LOL). I think I'll have to mount it higher than I would've if I had purchased a 4 bulb. Because this bad boy is going to be churning out some par. Ill probably start at around 12"-14" mounting height. Now its not here yet but it will be soon. I think its going to look perfect once everything is set up. I'm sure because my tank is so shallow and this thing is going to be so bright. It won't matter much thats its a 24" fixture on a 36" tank. Thanks to @Berlibee for waiting the extra day or two so I could mull it around.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

did you just get what I think your just got?

I know its probably complete overkill and ill probably have some folks laughing at me. But I'm almost positive ill be able to hang it high enough over the tank to get the par ratings I need. I'm going to rent a par meter when I finally set the system up. I just couldn't pass it up. 

• Like 1