Pod Your Reef

Nero3 or Nero5 on a 29G standard

Phantomwerkz

Currently running a pair of eFlux 660's for power heads in the upper half of the tank, but thinking I'd like some more flow/wave action along with controllability. I'm thinking the Nero5 might be a great upgrade for my setup? Would a single Nero5 on one side (turned down on power) be enough for the whole tank?  Also, keep the 660's for surface agitation or ditch them all together?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Couple of variables here. What kind of coral you keeping or wanting to keep? Nero 3 is a 2000 gph power head. Pretty decent flow there! Then you said you're leaving your 2 current ones running. Plus you have whatever filtration you're using thats generating some flow correct? Your aqua scape also adds another variable. 

4 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Couple of variables here. What kind of coral you keeping or wanting to keep?

Total beginner here in the Coral department so really haven't set that plan yet.  Most likely Softies and possibly LPS from what I understand I should be starting out with as a beginner. 

Nero 3 is a 2000 gph power head. Pretty decent flow there!

Yup... just wondering if a single 3 is enough for the whole tank.

Then you said you're leaving your 2 current ones running. Plus you have whatever filtration you're using thats generating some flow correct?

I was asking if I should leave them or not to maintain some additional surface agitation since I have a HOB Tidal 110 that is basically set on lowest setting now (picture below had it running higher then) just to cycle some water and make up for some additional water volume. Only running stock filter media though planning to run some floss as well.

Your aqua scape also adds another variable. 

Aqua scape essentially like so, though both 660's have been moved up a bit more from here.

1881937024_IMG_20200627_0935394072.thumb.jpg.895913c374a3ed7216ca36791f944e36.jpg

My hunch is to run a Nero 3 on the left side about halfway down and towards the back of the tank, blowing left to right and utilize the various random and pulse cycle programming. If I were to keep the 660's, they'd be moved up to the top in there slightly staggered position front to back and run at a constant flow for surface agitation.

I would do a 3 as it's less obtrusive and plenty enough flow for a 29g. I only run a single powerhead on my 25-30g types + the return/filteration powerhead.

• Thanks 1

I'd remove those filter/guard things from your pumps immediately...they are choking the flow.

👍 Running the pumps the way you have them set up now significantly kills their flow.  Most of the energy ends up wasted at the surface with waves from each pump crashing into each other, causing the flow to basically do almost nothing for the tank.  

Instead aim each pump into the tank so that it's as unobstructed as possible – not aimed at any rocks or corals, just open water.  Ideally so it can "blow" all the way to the far wall before the flow is interrupted.  This will maximize each pump's effect rather than working them against each other.  👍

Further, I would suggest to run one pump at a time....optimize its placement.  Then run the other pump for a while and optimize it.  

This way both pumps flow can be optimized without interference from the second flow source.  

Then use the controller or timers to run one pump for a few hours without the other one.  Then have it switch over to the other pump with the first one off for a few hours.  They switch back and forth like the tide.

This way also eliminates dead zones, almost regardless of pump placement.

You'll also be able to see if each pump is adequate to flow the whole tank this way.  Half of the tank without flow isn't the same as a dead zone...no flow is just no flow....then you need a bigger pump....it should be pretty obvious.

What do you see as the big difference between the flux pumps and the Nero?  Ie. why change?  (Not arguing for one or the other...it's just not clear so far what you expect.)

Both are controllable pumps.

With the Nero (and some others) you lose the ability to aim your pump.  That's unlikely to help.  Outside of that, I'm not sure what differences you should expect.

FYI, a 29 Gallon tank isn't that big at only 30"x12", so it's hard to imagine that you need bigger pumps.  At least IMO there's nothing particularly wrong with the pumps you have.  But is there room on your controller for a third pump?  Or only two?

• Like 1