SaltCritters.com

Introducing a new clownfish to an existing one

Ckane2

What is the best way to introduce a new clownfish when I’ve had my current clownfish for almost 3 years? 
I am selling some coral and came across a breeder who offered me a premium variety clown in exchange. I just recently upgraded my tank to a Nuvo 10 a couple of days ago so I figured now would probably be the best time to add another fish while my clown is still adjusting to the new tank. 

also, can anybody tell me what species of clown my current is and whether they’d be compatible with a davinci? 

C6DEF00C-CAC0-4018-B2DF-441789A3F098.thumb.jpeg.73cfd1db93fedfc440bf4b4b04bc32cb.jpeg

Beautiful fish, and we couldn't ask for a better pic.  However, I'm terrible at counting dorsal spines, as percula usually has 10 (sometimes 9) and ocellaris usually has 11 (sometimes 10): https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/difference-between-ocellaris-and-percula-clownfish/

The spines of ocellaris are usually taller, so I'm kind of guessing percula. :unsure:

Once you decide on the species, pick a young juvenile of the same species and they will pair up (as yours will be a female).

2 hours ago, seabass said:

Beautiful fish, and we couldn't ask for a better pic.  However, I'm terrible at counting dorsal spines, as percula usually has 10 (sometimes 9) and ocellaris usually has 11 (sometimes 10): https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/difference-between-ocellaris-and-percula-clownfish/

The spines of ocellaris are usually taller, so I'm kind of guessing percula. :unsure:

Once you decide on the species, pick a young juvenile of the same species and they will pair up (as yours will be a female).

Thanks for the reply this helps!!

• Like 1

When I introduced a second clown to my tank, I managed to keep them separated with a large net for a few hours so that the 1st clown could meet him and get used to the idea. As @seabass suggested, choose one that is much smaller than your current clown so that she doesnt feel threatened by him. There is no guarantee that they will pair up and mate. Mine have been together over 5 years now and have never mated. Maybe someday, as I do occasionally see them together in the same torch.

Also, the breeder should be able to tell you what species he has

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1