inTank Media Baskets

Best Gel Super Glue For Aquascaping?

20greef

So I'm looking for a super glue to use to create one of those negative space aquascapes with lots of arches and overhangs. I'm in Canada so I can't get order from BRS without huge shipping costs (plus they seem to be out of stock on their 10oz bottle of gel super glue). I've been doing research and it looks like all the glues used for aquascaping are cyanoacrylate based glues. So I was wondering if I could just use any thick cyanoacrylate based glue for gluing rocks together and then use that E-marco mortar on the joints once the scape is put together? Thanks for any input!

I would suggest drilling holes in the rock and using small pegs to keep them together kinda like LEGOs I haven’t had any success in glueing rocks together or using mortar. I’d be curious to know what others recommend 

On 10/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, 20greef said:

I'm in Canada so I can't get order from BRS without huge shipping costs (plus they seem to be out of stock on their 10oz bottle of gel super glue).

Not sure why you'd even consider that....seems absurd.  🤷‍♂️

If you use super glue, just go to your local hardware store and get superglue gel.  Any kind is good.  Differences are minor.  Here's a tip:  Get the tiny single-use tubes if they are available.  No worry about one clogged tip ruining the whole batch.

• Like 1

Super glue isn't used for aquascaping. In time it simply won't hold.

Most use epoxy for aquascaping and for more complicated designs acrylic rods, drilling and zip ties are employed.

My favourite epoxies are

reef welder for dry rock

aquastik for dry or wet rock.

super glue is used for corals and coral plugs. any gel super glue with only cyanoacrylate ingredient is safe. I get mine at Dollarama

Good reef supply stores are available in Canada. You don't need to pay the ridiculous shipping costs and customs to get what you need.

reefsupplies

aquarium depot

petsandponds

j&l aquatics

candy corals

fragbox

under the sea

Just to name a few in Canada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Clown79 said:

Most use epoxy for aquascaping and for more complicated designs acrylic rods, drilling and zip ties are employed.

AGREED!  

Use methods that are adequate to your design – or else 😉 – whether that means using an armature, super glue or something else! 🤞I think DIY rock is one of the best ways to have a really unique aquascape...calcium is the main adhesive in that case.  Win!

On the synthetic adhesive front, Tunze makes another unique semi-epoxy..."Coral Gum Instant"...stays flexible, less-dubious ingredients than standard epoxies.  I believe it's a dental material by design.     (Plain "Coral Gum" = Tunze's standard aquarium epoxy.  They sell both.)

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/catalogue/categories/product-groups.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter010