Innovative Marine Aquariums

iodide for inverts

Crys

Hi all,

Is it important to dose with iodide to able inverts to molt?  I have read various reports on-line.  The crabs in my tank don't always make it through a molt.  I have good salt and calcium levels are ok.  I do have a lot of macro algae, mermaid fan and dragons breath.  I have heard that they take up iodine from the water column so I wondered if I was losing too much.   Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

It depends on what your iodine levels are. Dosing may be worth a try if you have molting issues, but you should have a test kit to make sure you don't dose too much. 

• Like 2

In general, most salt mixes contain enough iodine; so if you are doing regular water changes and aren't over skimming your tank, then iodine isn't typically an issue.  However, @snostorm has been having similar problems with his cleaner shrimp, and recently linked this thread:

• Like 1

Hmm,

The link was interesting.  I had always used seachem as well but because of shortages I had to change to instant ocean, although my porcelain crabs never survived there first molt so I quit buying them.  Do the macro algae take up  iodine.  I definitely need to get a test kit.

It's risky dosing anything (without testing) based on a bottle's recommendations.  Testing is the best and safest way to dose iodide.  If I were to dose blindly based on the label's directions, I'd dose 1/4 a dose, just once a week.

• Like 1