Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beginner Tank, Is This Hair Algae?

Iamdasauce

Good day,

I have been letting my tank cycle for the last 7 weeks and noticed today that I have some sort of algae that is swaying on my sand. Is this hair algae? What is a good solution for removing it? Is there a clean up crew member I could grab? I just did a water change last week.

Only inhabitants are 2 nessarius snails, 1 astrae, a cleaner shrimp, and 2 hermits. However, my clowns will be done with quarantine on Saturday and I'll be picking them up.

• Thank you for feedback!IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.7d2ed1b7afba739cbe2c74af0bb54163.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

I think I am just going to manually remove it. It could be potentially detritus but it moves like hair. Should I get a sand sifter of some kind to help the top of my sand? Let me know if I should post a new picture.

Thanks,

I can't really tell from the pics if it's hair algea or not, but I think manual removal is the best call. Not much will eat algea once it gets long enough to sway, especially in the sand. 

Of the clean up crew you have, the astres will eat microalgae off the rocks and glass.  The hermits might pick at algea a little. The rest will eat leftover fish food and detritus, but not touch algea. 

So depending on the size of your tank and how much algea crops up down the road, I'd consider adding some more algea snails.  Ceriths are good, because they stir the sand a little. Astreas are one of the best options for the rocks too.