Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gabe's RBTA Pico

gabe3eb

Long time, no tank.

Set up a not-nano during covid and its been a blast. One of the prettiest pieces in the tank was the RBTA seen below. The picture is obviously tweaked on color a bit, but its a great looking standard rose bta that I got from Pieces of the Ocean on Staten Island during a live sale about a month ago. It was doing so great in the tank and hadn't moved in a couple weeks. Over this past weekend, it started slowly poking around. It moved to the back corner of that tank, which was awesome and out of the way of others, but still viewable from the side really well.

823583047_beforenem.thumb.jpg.c34847500c42d73b49a7bc3d7e71f07c.jpg

Come Monday morning on my way out the door to the office, I saw this on an MP40. Thankfully I put on the foam filter pad.

710534479_afternem.thumb.jpg.f5f72d1b5366454cf086964a641436c4.jpg

So, into a small clear plastic container with holes clipped to the side of the tank. He wasn't too happy here, but he did pull through. Monday night after work I swung into my LFS and picked up a Lifeguard Aquatics all-in-one. Wasn't even sure what size it was. Figured it was around 5G. Turns out its 4.1. I had a leftover NanoBox Tide from an old tank and had plenty of LR, water, new live stand leftover, and even a Tunze Nano Osmolator. All I really needed was some flow, a tank, a heater and I was off. I'm not sure this is a permanent setup or that it will work out. But it's about 10-15 feet from a much larger tank that will have no issue supporting it. I really don't want to, but I could even plumb them together.

Fast forward to today when I put this thing together:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.671fc3071a0b06c30d020aee46ee0cf2.gif

I teased @Christopher Marks a couple months back when I responded to a few year old message from him that was in my inbox. Wasn't expecting to have a nano or pico again, but here we are.

Specs:

• Tank: Lifeguard Aquatics 4.1g All-in-One
  • Flow: Stock Quiet One 400 (or maybe 200) return flow.
  • Flow: Sicce Voyager Nano Steam 1000 (270gph)
  • Heater: 10W Fluval
  • Light: NanoBox Tide that has been in a storage unit for years. Was originally struggling to get this working on Monday night. One of the wires inside was cut and I couldn't get the bluetooth to synch. I ordered an AI Prime, but after e-mailing with Dave Fason, a little rewiring, and a lot of luck, the NanoBox came to life.
  • ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator (Still need to find a reservoir that isn't annoying. Might also run some RODI tube from my basement).
  • Media/Filtration: Running carbon. Stock filter sponges. I keep a 44g Brute can in the basement full of mixed salt ready to go, so I will likely do a weekly water change on this one in addition to my main tank.
  • Future Plans: Absolutely none. I didn't even know I was doing this 48 hours ago 😝. I'm just hoping the nem comes out of the container. Will keep some updated pics here when the water clears up and it does.

• Like 2

Well, this will be interesting. I think you might have to plumb it into the larger tank to get it to work long-term, and sooner or later it's just not going to physically fit into the tank and be able to spread out fully. Though I guess you could see what happens if an anemone is in too small of a tank to grow to full size. Bonsai anemone? The saltwater equivalent of those gelatinous cubes in Dungeons and Dragons? 

You probably shouldn't put anything else in this tank that isn't anemone-proof.

14 hours ago, Tired said:

Well, this will be interesting. I think you might have to plumb it into the larger tank to get it to work long-term, and sooner or later it's just not going to physically fit into the tank and be able to spread out fully. Though I guess you could see what happens if an anemone is in too small of a tank to grow to full size. Bonsai anemone? The saltwater equivalent of those gelatinous cubes in Dungeons and Dragons? 

You probably shouldn't put anything else in this tank that isn't anemone-proof.

Definitely don't plan to put anything else on the tank. I'm thinking about how to make this happen with a four channel doser from the main tank. Also can sell this nem and make this is a proper pico. The title of the thread is definitely a bit of a troll 😆

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...