Top Shelf Aquatics

Hammerhead - Anyone ever seen em’ do this?

ReefAdoRe

2 hours ago, Grimes said:

How long has it been like that for? Is one getting more light or flow? 

They don't look too bad 

Just a couple of hours today - it went right back to normal.  I think it just scared me mostly.  I’ve only had them for 4 days now.  

2 hours ago, Tired said:

Does it do that constantly?  

Not at all, was just today.  For a couple of hours.  

Wouldn't worry . It could be that it's caught something to eat they can retract or go a bit of a funny shape when passing food around polyps 

LPS can be funny beasts.. my hammer does that.. sometimes it looks so extended that it seems to loose it's colour as well . 

Duncans are worse they can close for days with no reason then open back up like nothing happened 

• Wow 1

A coral of any sort briefly closing up, then reopening, isn't a cause for concern in most circumstances. It usually just means that either something startled it, or it's eating. 

• Like 1

Mine do it. I often find heads will close when they are growing or about to split.

Sometimes its from eating too much and just a good poop is needed.

Normally not a huge concern but definitely monitor

• Like 2

Live animals can be expected to do odd things. Try not to focus so much on them, they'll be fine as long as your parameters are reasonable and nothing eats them.

Make sure to keep nitrates and phosphates above 0, or they'll starve. Some people have problems from doing too many water changes because they don't know that corals need those nutrients in the water. Nitrates should be at least 5ppm, phosphates 0.03ppm, for most setups. Higher is fine on both. High nitrates are eventually harmful, high phosphates may encourage algae but aren't toxic at any level you can reasonably achieve. 

• Like 2