Pod Your Reef

Indecisive between these 3 LEDs

Rulman

Hi everyone,

Well, basically what the title says, I need to change the nano screen and I don't know where to pull the three I have in mind, I currently have a Coral Coral Box Moon Led that suited me well, but the other day, moving things in the The rear sump was released and the screen wanted to see the Ocelaris closely .... although I took it out quickly, now I have several LEDs failing.
The aquarium is a Waterbox Cube 20 with measures of in which I have fish, soft and a couple of LPS.

The three LEDs I am looking at are:

Red Sea ReefLED 50

redsea-reefled-box.jpeg

Prime 16HD Reef

prime16HD-reef_bottom_iso_black_reeftech

Maxspect Led MJ-L165

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ejr5P9xWkAEQob8.png

spacer.png

And among these I am, the Prime is the one with the most information, but of the other two there is not much and apparently according to their specifications they are superior, Red Sea is Red Sea and the new Maxsèct looks very very good ... the price is more or less the three similar, can you help me?

Thank you very much
Greetings.

I'd recommend heading over to BRS and checking out some of their videos comparing light output (PAR), spread, and spectrum.  The videos might not be tremendously exciting, but they are jam packed with great info. 

This video should be a great place to start https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/brstv-investigates-aqua-illumination-prime-hd

They've reviewed and tested most of the big name lights, and a lot of others as well.

• Like 1

Prime is proven and technically brighter than the redsea, I always pull for maxspect however because they have better customer service, better warranty, and fairly-affordable repairs +longterm support of their products. That said, I have no personal experience with that particular fixture.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, paulsz said:

The AI Prime HD is a safe bet for a tank of this size. Should be able to grow some SPS too in the high light areas, should you ever want to try SPS. 

All three of them will very easily grow SPS in any area of a Waterbox Cube 20. Any of these three will have no issue growing acros on the sandbed of that tank.

I personally would go with the AI or Maxspect because I am not a huge fan of buying a company's first foray into a new product, especially when it's no cheaper than the two proven competitors. It'll likely be pretty buggy. The AI is a proven workhorse, has a great interface, and can very easily be re-sold if you upgrade to a bigger tank. While I'm not familiar with the interface for the new Maxspect, it has a super cool feature that allows it to run full power at even 20,000k and is very heavy toward the shorter end of the spectrum with 4 different chips under 470nm all the way down to 390nm. That's got more range down at the low end than my XR30 Pro.

• Like 4

Thank you all,

It seems to me that I am going to decide on the Maxspect since in addition to being the most powerful of the 3 (65w) apparently and from what I have seen in some video the interface of the control application seems quite good.

The redsea, as you have said, is the first foray into lighting (let them mature a bit) and the AI made me back the issue that they have removed the WIFI and although the Coral Box Moon Led worked wonderfully, I have already suffered Problems with their WIFI application that was very limited.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2020 at 5:45 AM, Rulman said:

Thank you all,

It seems to me that I am going to decide on the Maxspect since in addition to being the most powerful of the 3 (65w) apparently and from what I have seen in some video the interface of the control application seems quite good.

The redsea, as you have said, is the first foray into lighting (let them mature a bit) and the AI made me back the issue that they have removed the WIFI and although the Coral Box Moon Led worked wonderfully, I have already suffered Problems with their WIFI application that was very limited.

Would love a review on the Maxspect when you get it. It's a great brand and the new fixture definitely peaked my interest. I especially like the spread out clusters rather than a single centered light source.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, Tamberav said:

Would love a review on the Maxspect when you get it. It's a great brand and the new fixture definitely peaked my interest. I especially like the spread out clusters rather than a single centered light source.

Once I receive it I will tell you how it works, the problem now is that there is no stock of the product and although I have already ordered, it will not arrive until December so I will have to have a patient ...

Greetings.

• Like 1

Power is not always best. Spectrum is a huge part of it. Without proper spectrum power is obsolete. 

That being said,nothing about the spectrum stands out to me about the jump,to make me wants to JUMP at it and get one if I needed a light today. 

The layout it has cluster wise,is a good choice. Their diode choice is mostly poor. Too many cyan,reds and greens. With their use of warm whites they could have dropped the greens,reds and cool whites. Added more royals,one more nm of violets and added 2 mint or limes. 

But please,once you get the light,let us know how it looks and performs. The price point isn't terrible either really. Do you live stateside or across the pond ? MarineDepot has them in stock. 

I agree with Reefkid, spectrum is more important than absolute power. No use having 60w with a large chunk of it in a spectrum that doesn't help corals grow. Also look at spread and lenses available, I have my tank in my living room, and really wanted to minimize light spill.

Any of these lights would allow you to grow SPS. As for proven, I think the only reason AI Prime could be considered as such is due to the number of people who bought it, mostly because it was cheap and rated at near 60w. Checkout the BRS videos on spectrum and spread, it might help a bit.  Usability factors in also, checkout the reviews on the software. 

I have the Reef LED 50, and I love it for my IM 25g Lagoon.  The only issue I have had with the software is due to my wireless, if the LED can't connect to the wireless for whatever reason, you gotta pretty much reset it. And having your settings in the cloud helps then.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Garf said:

I agree with Reefkid, spectrum is more important than absolute power. No use having 60w with a large chunk of it in a spectrum that doesn't help corals grow. Also look at spread and lenses available, I have my tank in my living room, and really wanted to minimize light spill.

Any of these lights would allow you to grow SPS. As for proven, I think the only reason AI Prime could be considered as such is due to the number of people who bought it, mostly because it was cheap and rated at near 60w. Checkout the BRS videos on spectrum and spread, it might help a bit.  Usability factors in also, checkout the reviews on the software. 

I have the Reef LED 50, and I love it for my IM 25g Lagoon.  The only issue I have had with the software is due to my wireless, if the LED can't connect to the wireless for whatever reason, you gotta pretty much reset it. And having your settings in the cloud helps then.

How are you liking the ReefLed 50w ? Have you had problem with your power supply getting too hot ? 

I like the Prime because well its bluetooth. Having it "wireless" via wifi would have sucked because my wifi is garbage at my house. But the router is on the other side of the house. 

I may be moving to Nashville for a few years for work,and was thinking the RL50 would maybe be a good option for an upgrade along with a tank upgrade to a WB 15 penn or the JBJ 10g cube. 

• Like 1

I havn't had any issues with the power supply. No idea how hot it is, it is behind the stand and out of sight. I cannot hear the fan at all, I keep my blue channel at 75-70%, with a 10-7% white channel, decreasing over the afternoon, with a ramp up and a ramp down.  

I hear ya on the wifi, I build a separate network for my Internet of Things like the tank, lights and alexa, so I rarely have any problems now with the LED wifi. 

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

I live in Spain and here the Maxspect has just been presented, I have to wait until there is stock .....

Regarding the issue of power, you are right, not everything is about power, but in that price range there is not much to choose from either.

So everything, as I see that the maxspecble will take time to be available, I am beginning to look favorably upon the Radion XR15 G5 Pro / blue, although the price is double the three mentioned, but with this I know that I am safe and incidentally I ask you, Radion PRO? or Radion BLUE ?.

Thank you very much to all for your interest.
Greetings.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I may be moving to Nashville for a few years for work,and was thinking the RL50 would maybe be a good option for an upgrade along with a tank upgrade to a WB 15 penn or the JBJ 10g cube. 

Just got a WB15 and LOVE the size of it. Super happy with it.

Also, for OP:

Also, I have 3x AI Primes now and have no issues. One is over my new WB15g, and I have a pair over my larger tank (will have 3rd eventually). 

I definitely love the Primes. They are easy to control, reliable for me, and make my corals pop. 

The Bluetooth has been quite reliable for me. I haven't had the desire to randomly change my schedule when I am not home, so WiFi is pointless for me to have.

In a 20g tank, as many said, any of these options will work. I just wanted to add my experience.