Pod Your Reef

Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp vs. Cleaner Shrimp

j.falk

And the winner is the pistol shrimp by a knockout.  

I got to see it firsthand this morning.  The pistol shrimp made the popping gesture/sound 3 times at the cleaner shrimp and then it fell over as if it had a stroke...it's little legs just barely twitching...minutes later it was dead.  

And for the record, I fully blame the cleaner shrimp...it kept antagonizing the pistol shrimp every chance it would get.  The irony being that the pistol shrimp is 3/4th of an inch long...the cleaner shrimp was 2 inches +...

Pic for proof.

A69C4F32-9EA1-4A83-BC89-C0AA60679A52.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Wow 4

The weird thing is...since the day this happened...I haven't heard or seen the pistol shrimp at all.  No popping sounds, no digging in the usual places...nothing...it's like it just disappeared.  I've even checked after lights out with a flashlight and I can't find it anywhere.

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
10 hours ago, j.falk said:

The weird thing is...since the day this happened...I haven't heard or seen the pistol shrimp at all.  No popping sounds, no digging in the usual places...nothing...it's like it just disappeared.  I've even checked after lights out with a flashlight and I can't find it anywhere.

It might be on a molt... All though, I have one that never clicks. 

2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It might be on a molt... All though, I have one that never clicks. 

I thought about that too but I haven't seen any molted pieces laying around in the tank.  It's just weird because the day it killed the cleaner shrimp it was out and about all over the place...since then I haven't seen it anywhere.  I figured it would've at least come out during feeding time in the evenings.

My wife wasn't too happy about it killing her cleaner shrimp...and I've been feeling some regret on adding it to the tank