Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opinions needed

grinder143

I recently bought a Figi cube 32 AIO. My question is if you already had the drill bits and bulkhead as well as gate valve for both the the drain and the return, would you drill it?  As an addition I have some other items such as a reef octopus 150sss skimmer , cad light recirc reactor as well as another reactor. I don’t want to fool anyone I could use all the stuff at my other home which has a 90 gal reef ready tank that I was going to set up as a fowlr. It’s empty now and has been for a while while I have been working out of the country. Wife wants it either gone or set back up. We can afford to automate whichever tank I don’t have daily contact with but visit every couple weeks . TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Why ruin the AIO rather than pass it on and just replace it with a (drilled) plain tank?

I wouldn't set up a tank that you can't be there for – automation is a very poor replacement for daily attention.  Every two weeks is really pushing it IMO and will take spacial care in setup to be successful in the long run.  Disasters take place in the scope of minutes or hours.  Things like a fallen coral or a jumped fish don't register on remote sensors.  Is the house empty when you're not there?

• Like 1

I agree about setting the big tank up and not being there. However both my adult daughters are there on a daily basis and have watched the tank while I was gone . As far as the AIO , I was thinking some tanks like the Red Sea come capable of running either way. I have all the parts as I have drilled every tank I have ever run over the last 30 years . I appreciate your feedback

On 10/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, grinder143 said:

Figi cube 32 AIO

Looks like a straight up AIO....makes sense since Fiji also sells the 32 EXT, which is intended for what you want to do.  

For some reason it looks like the EXT is more expensive though.  That seems odd.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I wouldn't drill it. I have both sump systems and AIO's and my AIO's in the nano range work just as well. On that size tank, you usually don't need a large skimmer or so on that a sump might benefit from.

Thanks. I ordered a Cadlight skimmer for it , but I have no idea if a will use it. I bought a Figi cube HOB refugium for it but it was damaged when I received it, that being said if I can repair the return I may try it for nutrient export.