inTank Media Baskets

Adding Bio Media to existing tank?

Cyndrol

Hello!

I have a 70g reef tank, which I have no problems with at the moments, however I would like to have more stability with it. All I run is an internal filter with carbon + an internal skimmer. Since my internal filter is quite big (I have the juwel rio bioflow) which currently only has filter floss and the carbon inside, I was thinking of adding Biofilters like Seachem Matrix Bio Media or Eheim substrate pro into my filter to boost the surface area for bacteria to grow.

Would that benefit my tank or might it even crash my tank? What are your thoughts on adding extra biomedia/pellets to a reef tank? I heard that they are useless in the long run is that true?

I think it's highly unlikely that adding biomedia would crash your tank. Assuming the new media is clean and won't be leaching phosphates or heavy metals, it would at worst have no effect and at best would bolster your biological filter a bit. The bottom line is that if your tank is already stable and is clearly able to deal with your current nutrient load, additional biomedia probably won't make much of a difference but also won't hurt anything if you choose to put it in.

Personally I like to keep a bag of "extra" Seachem Matrix media in my sump just in case I want to start up a new system. Having fully seeded biomedia ready to go is a great boon when beginning a new tank.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! Sure I wouldnt notice a huge difference since my tank is stable, I just want more stability incase something bad happens. Also my internal Filter is currently only helping through mechanical filtration. Adding media wouldnt hurt I guess.

Can you recommend me any media? Seachem is good, but costs a lot in my country and I would need more than just a few 100grams of Media.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, Cyndrol said:

I have a 70g reef tank, which I have no problems with at the moments

Are you familiar with the saying: If it isn't broken, then don't try to fix it?    

This is the kind of situation where that saying applies.  😉

however I would like to have more stability with it

I'm not sure I understand.

filter floss and the carbon inside

A reef shouldn't need to have either of these on a continuous basis.  I would remove them.

I was thinking of adding Biofilters like Seachem Matrix Bio Media or Eheim substrate pro into my filter to boost the surface area for bacteria to grow.

That kind of media is usually for fish tanks.

Is there something wrong with your live rock?  How much do you have?

On 10/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, Cyndrol said:

I just want more stability incase something bad happens.

You can't just plan for random fears.  And adding random bio-media definitely won't help.

What is it specifically that you think is going to happen?  (If there's nothing to be named, then best to save your money for a new coral or new fish or better fish food, etc.)

FYI the best thing you can do for long-term stability is to have a small bio-load.   Tank hardware is almost irrelevant by comparison.

• Like 1