Top Shelf Aquatics

Time to upgrade from my Evo 13.5

Staticmoves

I’ll start this journey by saying, I have thoroughly enjoyed, and still do enjoy my EVO 13.5.

And you can turn them into a thing of beauty.

my one greatest takeaway tip for any about to embark on an EVO system is, chamber one media basket full of marine pure balls and two squares of filter floss on top. Second chamber heater, ato sensor, and a small bag or purigen ( great flow coverage here. Third chamber return pump and chemipure blue. 
this is how I’ve had great success with this tank. And religious weekly water changes at 20%.

6D2D9B99-A352-471B-8AF6-F141D8CA77CD.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool! I'm upgrading my Biocube 29 to a Red Sea system shortly, and also just getting started with an Evo 13.5 as my desktop tank. Looks like you did nice things with your Evo, and I look forward to seeing what you do with your new system.

10 hours ago, chipz said:

Cool! I'm upgrading my Biocube 29 to a Red Sea system shortly, and also just getting started with an Evo 13.5 as my desktop tank. Looks like you did nice things with your Evo, and I look forward to seeing what you do with your new system.

The EVO is a great little tank to work with.

lots of support for it as well.

Good build quality.

going to install a shelf in top of the cabinet, all the way across, with just enough head room for dosing pump, food and supplements. As long as it does not hinder maintenance of skimmer and other items.

DB658215-7453-40AD-BDE6-9F2CFEEBD6B3.jpeg

• Like 1

I love the tall skinny arch on this second scape. Are you planning to use the rightmost and leftmost rocks as islands to contain corals that can get out of control? If so, I might move them a smidge further, or make sure all of the base rock is completely buried in the sand. If not, I might scootch them in closer so that they become part of the main structure. Just my two cents! 

What type of coral are you planning to put in it? If softies or LPS I think that scale looks pretty good. If SPS I would suggest doing a lower scape with more horizontal surface area. 

Hi, I'm actually looking to start a nano with a 13.5 evo. Do you have any posts about how you went about setting this up and what maintenance looked like? Also any advice about what types of fish it can handle. I'm new to the whole nano tank world. I've been mostly working with larger 40 to 120 gallon tanks. Thanks.

2 hours ago, chipz said:

I love the tall skinny arch on this second scape. Are you planning to use the rightmost and leftmost rocks as islands to contain corals that can get out of control? If so, I might move them a smidge further, or make sure all of the base rock is completely buried in the sand. If not, I might scootch them in closer so that they become part of the main structure. Just my two cents! 

I am using as a sort of island.  But not adding any coral that would be fast invasive.

it will be mixed reef. LPS and SPS.

3 hours ago, chipz said:

I am using as a sort of island.  But not adding any coral that would be fast invasive.

it will be mixed reef. LPS and SPS.

Added a light to the cabinet.

just wave your hand in front of sensor.

A7BBE252-5120-4649-9179-F6B816219D31.jpeg

E4BB159B-485A-4689-ADB4-033B0F57812A.jpeg

• Like 1
On 10/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, Grandpa mike said:

Hi, I'm actually looking to start a nano with a 13.5 evo. Do you have any posts about how you went about setting this up and what maintenance looked like? Also any advice about what types of fish it can handle. I'm new to the whole nano tank world. I've been mostly working with larger 40 to 120 gallon tanks. Thanks.

Hey I PMed you.