Top Shelf Aquatics

Coolbreeze

Hi, I hope I'm not digging up too old of a thread here...

I saw your commentary in another thread comparing tank brands of this size. I would not be going with a custom sump, so would you still recommend WB over RS if going the default route? The ONLY way I would go custom is with a RS Max-E tank, where the sump can be added at later date via their internal system.

Looking forward to your thoughts and hope you got things settled on your end!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
20 hours ago, Kogut said:

I saw your commentary in another thread comparing tank brands of this size. I would not be going with a custom sump, so would you still recommend WB over RS if going the default route? The ONLY way I would go custom is with a RS Max-E tank, where the sump can be added at later date via their internal system.

I am not original poster but there’s no reason to go with a separate sump or plumbing with Waterbox.  It comes with everything you need to get the job done.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, sdpinaz said:

I have been thinking about a Waterbox Aquarium but also want to put a trigger systems platinum sump.  Did you originally purchase the sump from Waterbox?  was there an option to buy just the tank with no sump?  I am trying to figure out which route to go.  Though not a nano tank, I really like the metal stand that comes with the reefLX.

Thanks,

Scott

I did not. I purchased the sump through BRS. I will be updating this build soon as the lighting is completed and the plumbing is almost completed and I will show how it was converted. The Marine-X you can only buy the tank, sump and stand and not piece part it.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kogut said:

Either system will be fine. It all depends on your goals. When I look at both systems I preferred Waterbox over the Redsea as you got most of the same features at a lower cost and easier to modify. The standard sump is awesome but my goals for this tank is requiring a sump mod.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, Thrassian Atoll said:

I am not original poster but there’s no reason to go with a separate sump or plumbing with Waterbox.  It comes with everything you need to get the job done.

Well it does come with everything, but you are giving a general statement without knowing what the persons goals are. If you want a low nutrient environment you can do it in different ways, but what way is best for you depends on many factors. I will be explaining this in more detail later on why I chose to change sumps. Again this is for my goals and my not be good for others.

• 4 months later...

It has been some time since I have updated this build. Yes it is still alive and I am really really taking my time to do it right. The moon lights, Kessils and T5 are up and running and I added a nice LED for under the tank (Pictures coming soon) as I can turn this on and off by using off the shelf lighting that works on my Apple Watch . I have completed my new updated rock scape as I have decided to go SPS with display. At first I was nervous to do it as I lost previous tanks and lots of money doing it.

I have just about completed all the requirements for a new whole home generator and should be delivered and installed by November (Install dates keep changing), but in the mean time I have purchased and installed two battery backups for my 4K Icecap Gyre. I have tested all the water movement with both installed and the new scape and water moves great and I should not have any dead spots moving forward. If I do find some dead spots from coral growth I have also tested a third 2K Gyre on the back of the tank going in a different direction.

My last item I need to decide on before adding water and cycling is if I want a wood floor in my living room or replace the carpet. Once that is decided I can proceed with cycling it. here are some updated rocks cape pictures.

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

• Like 1