Coral Vue Hydros

Return pump and plumbing recommendations

kygass

Hello all, 

We just moved into our new place, and I’m looking to restart my system.  I was hoping to get something bigger, but I don’t have a great location for it, so I’m going to restart an old 29 g biocube.  I want to gut the back and drill it using an eclipse s external overflow and then use a 20H standard as a sump similar to the brs ulm softy tank.  I’ve never plumbed a tank before, but I saw brs is running a 10% off sale.  I’m trying to pick up a return pump and maybe some core plumbing supplies.  Maybe a syncra silent 2.0 or a jebao dc?  Thoughts?  Seems like I should pick up a gate valve for the primary outflow.  Anything else obvious?  Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Expectations for the sump config vs just running the back compartment?

Living space will be practically identical.

As for the pump and supplies you'd need, it wouldn't be much.

Your target GPH for a tank that size would be (29 Gallons x 4 =) 116 GPH.  Even rounding up to 150 GPH doesn't leave you needing a lot of pump.

The other main factor is the location of the sump.  If it's right under the tank, then you can just use the flow guide on the pump you're looking at.

For example, the Lifeguard 1200 and 2200:

image.png.85c2312dea0f9950ce331d5e2bfc9275.png

From: https://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/quiet-one-aquarium-pumps-pro-series/

The Model 1200 would be an excellent choice, delivering up to 150 GPH at 4' of head/height.

It's an excellent pump, is extremely efficient, extremely silent and inexpensive at $20-$30.  It's got a 5 year warranty to back it up.

If your sump is more remotely located then you should also account for the friction losses of the longer plumbing run.  Post as much detail as you can if this is the case.

image.thumb.png.a6c56b3084df49ff34dfac8f3f1ffbac.png

From: https://us.sicce.com/en/products/multifunction-pumps/syncra-silent.html

150 gph = ~500 l/h

5' = ~1.5 meters

So a Syncra Silent 1.0 or 1.5 would be plenty....1.5 would almost be overkill, delivering almost 300 GPH if the delivery height is actually only 4' high.  I'd vote for the 1.0.

No valves would be required for this setup either...forgot to mention that on the first post.  At most you'll have some kind of flow randomizer on the outlet, but even that is totally optional.

Just a pump sized correctly for the installation. Plumbing can be (arguably should be) basic.  👍

• 1 month later...

I have a Sicce Syncra 1.0 and it is amazingly quiet. I am quite sensitive to sound, and it makes me irritated, especially when coming from an aquarium. The pump almost cannot be heard from a distance of more than 3 or 4 feet or so. Highly recommend.