inTank Media Baskets

SPS 5 Gallon Tank

Basedxo

What's up everyone , 

So I started a pico tank thats been running for 3 months now and is ready for some lights ,The idea behind this setup was to hopefully be able to successfully grow some sticks in a small 5 Gallon tank . I have many different options when it come to lighting but before i commit to one i would like some of your inputs  . 

I need something with enough par to grow sps coral as the goal is to be an sps dominated tank with that being said i listed some of my options below  . 

Lighting options :

Radion xr15 Gen 5

2 Ai HD Primes

Hydra 32 

Tank Dimensions :

17" x 11" x 7" 

IMG_8063.jpg

• Like 1
RedTheReefer

Looking nice. I think 1 AI Prime is enough. Especially if you only plan on having coral on the rock. Just have 1 light centered over it .

What's your filtration set up looking like? I see those lily pipes over there!

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

Any of those lights will work for your tank. If budget isn’t a concern, I’d go Radion. 

With that being said, if it were me, I’d probably go with one prime, and spend the money saved on higher end sticks, once you know your husbandry can support SPS. How are you going to dose? You won’t be able to keep up with water changes alone, once they start growing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, RedTheReefer said:

Looking nice. I think 1 AI Prime is enough. Especially if you only plan on having coral on the rock. Just have 1 light centered over it .

What's your filtration set up looking like? I see those lily pipes over there!

Thanks , I’m using a Oase canister filter with a built in heater and yeah went that route just because I personally didn’t want to drill in such a small tank . Also I love the look of it . 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Any of those lights will work for your tank. If budget isn’t a concern, I’d go Radion. 

With that being said, if it were me, I’d probably go with one prime, and spend the money saved on higher end sticks, once you know your husbandry can support SPS. How are you going to dose? You won’t be able to keep up with water changes alone, once they start growing. 

Thank you for the input , the nice thing is I could always use the radion or hydras on a different set up if need be for the future . And yes your definitely right I’m going with 2 kamoer dosing pumps to keep up with them growing . 

• 2 months later...

Fast forward to today . The pico has been doing great so far end up going with the hydra . Over kill I know but I personally like the look over all and have plenty of par for years to come . 

BA9C0004-F5E5-4642-A453-4F462ED0223F.jpeg

3FFAA6D3-4256-4EFE-9DCC-6BCEDAC596E2.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks amazing ! But yes you're right, it's overkill. Just make sure to start on low settings. I have one AI prime in my Evo 13.5. About the same dimensions as yours but just 12" in height, rather than 7". I took some readings with a par meter for a few settings. I'll try to link it later (I'm on mobile ATM). Your hydra is two pucks of the ai prime, so the PAR isn't comparable with my readings. But it'll give you an idea of how strong the lights are.

• Thanks 1

Found it! The first two depth readings (2.5" and 5.5" below surface) would be of use to you. I don't have rocks in that area so it's pretty open for accurate par readings.

Here:

• Wow 1