ReefCleaners.org

Bubble tip anemone

Moshizzl3

Hey reefers! 

I bought a bubble tip anemone yesterday!

He seems to be doing okay, he has moved over night and found him self a nice spot! 

He is fully opened and seems to be having a good time ❤️

should I be feeding him shrimp? Internet is filled with mixed messages about this. 
 My feeding schedule is I feed dry food about every other day, enough so nothing hits the bottom before the fish and shrimps has eaten it. 

I want him to grow fast so my clowns can start hosting in him. Also, can I move him again? I would

like him to be in front of the display, he has moved sort of to the middle -.- paid a lot for him so a bit annoying he has found a place where he’s half hidden from the display hehe 😂 

Anemones are invertebrates, and would much appreciate meaty (frozen) food such as LRS Reef Frenzy or PE Mysis, which you should be able to find at your local LFS.  I’ve never been successful at “teaching” Anemones to take pellets.  

As far as relocating anemones, once they find a sweet spot, they tend not to stray too far unless they are prodded to move, either due to light and flow (too much or too little), or unfriendly neighbors.  If you insist on moving them to a spot of your liking, there’s no guarantee they will settle and won’t move again.  

There are many methodologies to move anemones: rubbing ice cubes at their feet or blowing power heads directly at them to force them to release their foot.  What ever you do, be weary they inflate quite large and need plenty of room for the tentacles.  Anything less than a euphyllia will be stung and should be moved to make room.

-Jeff

• Like 2

It's probably best to leave him where he is. They don't like to be moved, and he might just go back. Hopefully he'll shift around to be a bit more visible.

Anemones will grow fastest if given one or two small servings of fresh or frozen seafood a week. Shrimp is good. Don't give them silversides. Some will eat pellets, but it seems to be an individual basis, not a matter of training. 

I would suggest feeding everything else once a day. Small fish like reef fish do best if fed at least once daily, and it certainly won't hurt your shrimp. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Just a follow up question - he completely turns into a small ball when lights go out, it that normal? When the moonlight hits, he opens up a bit again. He also had a string coming out of him? He dieing or What 😮

in daylight he looks completely fine (picture attached, he’s the brownish lump)

DEB6C5E7-E3EF-4476-B1AF-215429CAC4EA.jpeg

DE4570ED-5EC5-450D-BE72-4EE1BDC948A9.jpeg

I would give him some time to settle before you start to feed him. New tank means stress and needs some adjustment time. He will get most of his food through the light. I usually feed mine once or twice a week at most but waited about 3 weeks. I actually just go to Shoprite and get one shelled fresh shrimp and slice it up for him. Feed him a small piece and freeze the rest.

• Like 2

I fed mine once a week at most.

They often will eat fish food that floats by.

They grew and had babies numerous times in the yr. Grew so large in a yr that i removed and sold them.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Moshizzl3 said:

Nice, but they split right? So they are`easy to remove and sell again i guess?

I can't say they are always easy to move.

Easiest removal is when they are on the move but if happy and fully attached to a rock, not easy.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:47 PM, Clown79 said:

I can't say they are always easy to move.

Easiest removal is when they are on the move but if happy and fully attached to a rock, not easy.

Woke up to this! White goo and strings, Is it splitting or should I be concerned? 

CEC251E5-4999-4954-8B87-E6272A0B0F1F.jpeg