ReefCleaners.org

2 weeks into the cycle

aSaltyKlown

I am 2 weeks into the cycle on my 13.5 Evo and it appears to be almost complete.  The first few days of my cycle I used some frozen food to start before switching over to Dr. Tim's Ammonia on the 27th.  I started with about 10lbs of CaribSea LifeRock, and about 12lbs of CaribSea Aragalive Fiji Pink sand.  I am waiting on my RODI so used Imagitarium Pacific Ocean water.  I'll be using Fritz RPM salt.  

It has been taking 2 days to get ammonia to 0 dosing the amount specified on the bottle, 4 drops per gallon and the tank took just over ten gallons.  It spikes up to 4ppm, so I figure at 2ppm it would go to 0 in24 hours.  I plan on doing at least a 5g water change this weekend to get the nitrates down and a 90-100% once I have my RODI set up.  I would like to keep my nitrates around 3-5ppm, I don't currently have phosphates, but want to keep it around .03-.07.  Lights have been off and I don't want to turn them on until my nitrates are down to at least 20ppm.  I don't think I need to dose anymore ammonia, but I may do one more after my water change.

I do want to get as much bio diversity as possible and was thinking of using MicroBacter7 to do that.  I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to get some copepods and phytoplankton, I would be making a pod house and adding it into chamber two.  I don't think I would need any chaeto at this time with the tank being so new, but could be wrong.   Was also thinking of getting a small chunk of live rock from my LFS to aid with the diversity.  Is this a decent plan or should I skip the copepods? Should I start my lights(stock Evo) on a daily cycle when the nitrates are down or wait?  I am not seeing any algae of any kind yet, thinking it's just too soon of due to no lights.  

I don't plan on adding any livestock for at least another two weeks, will be adding two clowns first unless I start to get algae, then I'll add a cuc first.  

Thanks! 

image.thumb.png.61ea92192127c566789ddb5b8f69e139.png

1 hour ago, afrostyreefer said:

I am 2 weeks into the cycle on my 13.5 Evo and it appears to be almost complete.  The first few days of my cycle I used some frozen food to start before switching over to Dr. Tim's Ammonia on the 27th.  I started with about 10lbs of CaribSea LifeRock, and about 12lbs of CaribSea Aragalive Fiji Pink sand.  I am waiting on my RODI so used Imagitarium Pacific Ocean water.  I'll be using Fritz RPM salt.  

It has been taking 2 days to get ammonia to 0 dosing the amount specified on the bottle, 4 drops per gallon and the tank took just over ten gallons.  It spikes up to 4ppm, so I figure at 2ppm it would go to 0 in24 hours.  I plan on doing at least a 5g water change this weekend to get the nitrates down and a 90-100% once I have my RODI set up.  I would like to keep my nitrates around 3-5ppm, I don't currently have phosphates, but want to keep it around .03-.07.  Lights have been off and I don't want to turn them on until my nitrates are down to at least 20ppm.  I don't think I need to dose anymore ammonia, but I may do one more after my water change.

I do want to get as much bio diversity as possible and was thinking of using MicroBacter7 to do that.  I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to get some copepods and phytoplankton, I would be making a pod house and adding it into chamber two.  I don't think I would need any chaeto at this time with the tank being so new, but could be wrong.   Was also thinking of getting a small chunk of live rock from my LFS to aid with the diversity.  Is this a decent plan or should I skip the copepods? Should I start my lights(stock Evo) on a daily cycle when the nitrates are down or wait?  I am not seeing any algae of any kind yet, thinking it's just too soon of due to no lights.  

I don't plan on adding any livestock for at least another two weeks, will be adding two clowns first unless I start to get algae, then I'll add a cuc first.  

Thanks! 

image.thumb.png.61ea92192127c566789ddb5b8f69e139.png

I would add pods once the tank is finished cycling. And phyto dosing, i would go lightly on it or it could lead to very high phos if over dosed. 

I can't really advise on the microbacter7,  never used it.

I know alot of hobbyists recommend biospira during cycling.

Adding an established piece of LR is always good but you want to make sure its fully established rock from a tank with life in it or it could cause a mini cycle.

• Like 1

Second what clown says. I used microbacter 7 in my lagoon 25g, works well, definitely use something like it during and after the cycle, you need to get that bacteria established. What I would do is start using the microbacter immediately, add the clowns when the tank is processing the correct dosage of ammonia in about a day, then let things sit for a few weeks. Then add pods. I wouldn't be too concerned about dosing phyto, just lower the dosage and test phospate and nitrate and adjust phyto as needed. Adding an established piece of liverock is a good idea, just transport it in tank water, not wrapped in newspaper or plastic. 

I wouldn't worry about the decision of clowns vs cuc first, you will see algae/diatoms, so start with the clowns, then add a cuc once there is something for them to feed on. Don't go crazy with the snails and crabs, you don't want them starving then dying. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.  

After 4 more days of dosing 2ppm ammonia and it registering 0 the next day, I dosed some Microbacter for a couple of days and did a 80% water change on Saturday to get my nitrates down.  Tested all parameters - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Phos 0, Ph 8, Sal 34 and Temp 80.4.  Doing another WC to get the nitrates down some more and the salinity up to 35.    

Pulled the trigger on a small Black Ice Clown on Sunday and placed an order for a Frostbite Clown.  I built a pod house and placed it in the middle chamber and will be adding them this week when they arrive.  

3 minutes ago, afrostyreefer said:

Thanks for the replies.  

After 4 more days of dosing 2ppm ammonia and it registering 0 the next day, I dosed some Microbacter for a couple of days and did a 80% water change on Saturday to get my nitrates down.  Tested all parameters - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Phos 0, Ph 8, Sal 34 and Temp 80.4.  Doing another WC to get the nitrates down some more and the salinity up to 35.    

Pulled the trigger on a small Black Ice Clown on Sunday and placed an order for a Frostbite Clown.  I built a pod house and placed it in the middle chamber and will be adding them this week when they arrive.  

Your nitrates are fine at 10. Phos being 0 isn't beneficial.

Your tank will nee nitrates and phos.