Cultivated Reef

Anywhere to rent/borrow PAR meter?

tzink

Hi guys,

I'd like to get a measurement of my PAR levels, but I don't want to spend $500 for a device I'll use once, maybe twice to get my lighting right. I called my LFS to see if they rent them, but no luck. Has anyone found a place to borrow/rent/share a PAR meter? How do people solve this problem generally?

Thanks!

NoOneLikesADryTang

BRS rents them out... Alternatively, a lot of local clubs have one that members can check out. I know our local club (Arizona) club dues are $10 annually, and it gives you access to all of the clubs equipment, including a par meter. 

Either way, you should also get a lux meter.  They cost $7-$20 and up (my LX-1010B was $12) and give you the same basic information – relative intensity.  The difference between PAR and lux is a constant...so while lux and PAR are not equal, they are both usable to us in the same way.  Differences are relatively minor for our usage.  If you get that PAR meter you can compute the lux:PAR constant for your lights.  You can apply the constant to your future lux meter readings and use it to calculate accurate PAR numbers without having an actual PAR meter in-hand.

Everyone should have at least a lux meter.

• Like 1