ReefCleaners.org

Daniel92481

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

You are correct,but easy to combat if you have the time. Well,my wife does small water changes when I ask her to and she tops the tank off daily since my ATO tool a dump on me. 

Oh I see. That’s cool that she helps out like that. My ATO did the same thing only after one year! I’ve been manually refilling. Not a big deal so far, just can’t forget lol

Things seem to be improving slightly with the recent water change and manual removal of hair algae. If the hair algae on the main rock gets worse instead of better, I plan to remove and scrub with a toothbrush. So far, it seems to be dying back a bit. I took these pics after the recent water change, when my zoas were starting to open back up. They all seem to be doing better, opening slowly, day by day. Since the pictures, my RFA has scooted himself down and to the left about 2 inches. This move actually works out well for my psychosis polyps that have been smothered by the RFA. Hopefully they will bounce back and start thriving. 

I participated in a secret Santa gift exchange within my local reefing community and managed to hit the jackpot! A very generous local reefer sent me a jawbreaker mushroom frag! He says reds and greens should come through eventually. So far, I am seeing the deep reds, but no greens yet. I am really excited about this new addition to the tank. I placed it in the lower right portion, where I was already looking to place a new coral after I figured out what I wanted it to be. So far, it seems to have worked out nicely for the new jawbreaker. I’m happy with it. Stay tuned for another update soon! 👍🏼

5E32BA3C-C169-46DD-A189-782915E5CA54.jpeg

79849D9B-C19F-4D85-A92E-26B8CFFEF6A3.jpeg

FA72BD4C-0900-402D-BE20-A862DB109272.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Haha oh the joys of anemones! I've always wanted one, but am terrified of them moving around (even if it is just an RFA). I think I'll just live vicariously through your tank and RFA 😅

Daaaaaaang can I join your local club? 😂 but really that's way nice of him. Looks great too!

Glad to hear things are looking better over all! 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Haha oh the joys of anemones! I've always wanted one, but am terrified of them moving around (even if it is just an RFA). I think I'll just live vicariously through your tank and RFA 😅

Daaaaaaang can I join your local club? 😂 but really that's way nice of him. Looks great too!

Glad to hear things are looking better over all! 

No kidding, right!? I really like nems too, just not when they set up shop on top of my other corals! The RBTA I had moved around wayyy more than this RFA. Still annoying though.

Yes! This reef club is amazing! They are always coming up with different ways to keep hobbyists informed and updated on current reef news. They do different trivia give-a-ways and such. Such a cool community! Thank you, I appreciate your kind words about my tank. I’m hoping things continue to look up.😊

• Like 1
1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

Schawing!!!! Nice secret Santa gift!!! Going through some uglies in my 4.1 as well! Is it just the three of us or is there more with the 4.1?

Yea! I definitely scored with this one! You have this tank too? I need to check for your thread! I’m pretty sure there is a bunch of reefers with this tank. I had lurked on here for a bit reading other 4.1 journals before I bought mine. This is my favorite tank out of the three I’ve had...so far lol

• Like 1

It counting the low iron glass this thing is a masterpiece.. like others I wish the divider was black instead of translucent because a tiny fuge would be DOPE!!!

I don’t know if I transferred Dino’s from my 20 Peninsula but have some funky stuff growth in rocks but not sand. 

I’m running the Hydor Pico 258gph pump instead of the LGA 400... actually surprised I read it came within a 200, but still wanted to up the flow. Also the IM Nuvo 10/20 filter sock fits in the first chamber so running that and some bio-media from a cycled tank in the 2nd chamber. 

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Wow, that does sound amazing! We don't have any particularly good clubs here, but there are some guys who sell coral out of their basements and a few of us tend to gather and hangout there, so it's kind of like a club? 😂 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

It counting the low iron glass this thing is a masterpiece.. like others I wish the divider was black instead of translucent because a tiny fuge would be DOPE!!!

I don’t know if I transferred Dino’s from my 20 Peninsula but have some funky stuff growth in rocks but not sand. 

I’m running the Hydor Pico 258gph pump instead of the LGA 400... actually surprised I read it came within a 200, but still wanted to up the flow. Also the IM Nuvo 10/20 filter sock fits in the first chamber so running that and some bio-media from a cycled tank in the 2nd chamber. 

Yea, I also wish it was solid black back panel. No fuge, just my heater light going from red to green. It doesn’t bother me too much, but I see what you mean about a tiny fuge back there. I’m not sure it would actually work, but it would definitely look fancy. 

What kind of funky stuff you have growing? Does it look like Dino’s to you? Hard to tell sometimes! 

How do you like the hydor pico? I was thinking of switching to a sicce pump somewhere down the road if this one dies on me. 

I had no idea that the filter socks would fit there! I use the IM medium sized filter sock balls that come in the little package with carbon and GFO. The socks are the only thing I use from the package. It actually fits snug inside the first chamber with the coarse sponge that LA included with the tank. Second chamber for me is small amount of carbon. I just recently added one chemi pure blue nano packet to test out the GFO properties. So far, so good. The GHA seems to be receding as of now. 👍🏼

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Wow, that does sound amazing! We don't have any particularly good clubs here, but there are some guys who sell coral out of their basements and a few of us tend to gather and hangout there, so it's kind of like a club? 😂 

Hey, that sounds pretty legit to me. I bet y’all have some really nice stuff down there. Who doesn’t love a place to hangout and talk fish and coral? 😊👍🏼

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel92481 said:

How do you like the hydor pico?

Fits perfectly... might be too much flow, only time will tell. I think the 258gph does well keeping a powerhead out of the display for sure.

1D0DD2E9-4E06-4D8F-8A7C-4A851C51080B.thumb.jpeg.002549c3f0c3ee60dc0c83b16e3f0f88.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Fits perfectly... might be too much flow, only time will tell. I think the 258gph does well keeping a powerhead out of the display for sure.

1D0DD2E9-4E06-4D8F-8A7C-4A851C51080B.thumb.jpeg.002549c3f0c3ee60dc0c83b16e3f0f88.jpeg

I’m really going to look into getting this pump in the future. So much flow, and fits nice

On 12/7/2020 at 9:33 PM, I'm Batman said:

Does anyone know if the IM custom caddy/media basket in desktop size will fit in the 4.1? I’m Batman informed me that the filter sock would fit, but how about the caddy? 

Alright! Time for another update here...

After some talk about a media basket for the rear chamber, I ordered the IM desktop media basket thinking it might possibly fit. Unfortunately, it didn’t fit, but at least I am able to use the purity pack part of it. If anyone is interested in a media basket for the IM Nuvo, I got one lol. There was some good news out of it though. I contacted Intank Aquatics and was told to be expecting the new media basket for the Lifegard Aquatics 4.1 in January! 😁

As far as the tank, there has been some improvement, along with some major changes. I decided to remove the MP10 since I do not have any high flow demanding coral in the tank. I have actually been liking the simplicity of a return pump only setup! 

I was able to perform an 80% water change and remove some hair algae from the back wall and sand bed. I also removed the centerpiece rock and scrubbed the major portions of GHA with a toothbrush. I didn’t use peroxide or anything, just dipped the toothbrush in some fresh saltwater every few scrub-a-dub-dubs. I couldn’t get it all, but about 90% of it is gone. While I had the rock out, I managed to pluck some of the bubble algae off too. I got the majority of what I could see.

The zoas are looking better, slowly starting to open up. With some extra TLC, hopefully I can get them back where they were before. My RFA is in the same spot as when the MP10 was in the tank. I’m not really sure if he is going to move or not, maybe searching for more flow. It’s a waiting game lol. So far, so good. I have two new additions to the tank since my last update, a duncan and a baby purple firefish! 🥳

I have always wanted a purple firefish! I found this little guy at the LFS. He’s about 1.5 inches. So tiny! ☺️ My teenage daughter helped pick him out and named him Flash.😍I was happy to see that he was already comfortable enough to eat some pellets that we offered. 

The duncan is a chunky single head that I also found at the LFS. He seems to be adjusting and opening up nicely. I have always liked the look of duncans in slower moving water. 

Hopefully, things will continue to improve over the next few weeks.👍🏼

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update! 😁

10715701-E554-4872-A787-976E8E5892EF.jpeg

86AF10E5-58A0-43B3-9F50-60DE5A4FFA85.jpeg

4B7B4657-DAEA-427C-99B7-376C94C469C2.jpeg

C150772A-3999-4AE2-80A7-D026CC799144.jpeg

0740634D-E651-4DC4-BE5B-550F7F9BCD81.jpeg

4FF0AC5A-A30D-42CE-AF69-F9C31AE8B319.jpeg

4E4482B4-57B2-4AD0-91A9-E217A1C5196D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, one last update for 2020!☺️I recently cleaned up the pico tank and was able to give some extra TLC between work shifts. So far, so good! Things are continuing to improve, zoas opening, other corals looking nice. I added a torch coral from a fellow reefer, along with an utter chaos frag, and 2 turbo snails from the LFS. The turbo snails have managed to lawnmow the majority of the remaining GHA and have things looking really clean now.🙂Hopefully with these new additions, along with keeping nutrients under control, I can keep the GHA at bay and continue to enjoy this tiny little slice of the ocean! 

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update in 2021! Happy New Year everyone! Party like it’s 1999! 🎉CBDA29BA-6191-4B2D-BA98-98EC2BC06352.thumb.jpeg.d9945214f6e57c48e8d53a226c1ff45c.jpeg2F5AFF71-33E3-43FE-96E7-2A464F5CD5B2.thumb.jpeg.00d7172a140580726bbf077df9f3e5a7.jpegBD8C701D-3562-40D8-B677-2AC0C7630B10.thumb.jpeg.ad826815f78b672d5d4b4a0260ab5f43.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Daniel92481 said:

Ok, one last update for 2020!☺️I recently cleaned up the pico tank and was able to give some extra TLC between work shifts. So far, so good! Things are continuing to improve, zoas opening, other corals looking nice. I added a torch coral from a fellow reefer, along with an utter chaos frag, and 2 turbo snails from the LFS. The turbo snails have managed to lawnmow the majority of the remaining GHA and have things looking really clean now.🙂Hopefully with these new additions, along with keeping nutrients under control, I can keep the GHA at bay and continue to enjoy this tiny little slice of the ocean! 

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update in 2021! Happy New Year everyone! Party like it’s 1999! 🎉CBDA29BA-6191-4B2D-BA98-98EC2BC06352.thumb.jpeg.d9945214f6e57c48e8d53a226c1ff45c.jpeg2F5AFF71-33E3-43FE-96E7-2A464F5CD5B2.thumb.jpeg.00d7172a140580726bbf077df9f3e5a7.jpegBD8C701D-3562-40D8-B677-2AC0C7630B10.thumb.jpeg.ad826815f78b672d5d4b4a0260ab5f43.jpeg

Yeah man some.of that shit looks like it's on fire 🔥 Very nice 

• Thanks 1

Thanks man! Yea, I’m excited to see it come back to life after the major GHA mess. These turbo snails don’t play around. I’m thinking I should have only got one! Both of them are golf ball size...and they’re hongry lol

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey reefers!🙃

First update of 2021! 

Things are really improving with the tank, bouncing back from a GHA outbreak I had about a month ago. I was able to dial in my feeding schedule, helping to keep my nutrients under control. I’ve been managing to test most major parameters once a week, usually on Sunday. I have also been performing 80% water changes biweekly with good results. I am going to continue this WC schedule, and see if there needs to be any tweaking to it in the future. All corals and inverts are doing good, as well as Flash, my firefish.🙂As many of you already know, a fellow member (RDA), made me a media basket for the back chamber. I love this thing! It really accomplishes everything I wanted from it, plus the design is really cool. I am really loving the UV reactive orange that he used for parts of it. Love it!☺️Another cool piece for the pico that I just got was my custom lid made by Kraken Reef. This thing is super well made, and fits perfect on the tank. Although I ultimately got this lid so that my fish doesn’t jump out, turns out it’s for the snails too. On three different occasions, I have come home to one of the snails on the floor, trying to escape. One time, about 2am, I heard a crack on the hardwood floor. Sounded like an egg! Sure enough, Mexican turbo snail on the floor. Hey! Mexico is that way!👈 Fortunately, they are all ok.😃I had just picked him up and dropped him back in the tank. Seems like they’re pretty resilient critters. As far as my corals go, I added some gobstoppers from a fellow reefer, UC pepto pink goni, UC limearitas, and UC papaya clove polyps. Now, I don’t want to kid myself and say I won’t buy anymore corals lol, but as of now, I would like to sit back and watch things settle in. As for flow, I recently purchased the LA Quiet 400 pump, but haven’t installed it yet. I believe it’s 103gph vs. the 87gph that the 200 delivers. After doing more research, I found that I might actually end up ordering the Cobalt Aquatics/Newa 606 or the Sicce Micra plus. Either one of these pumps will give me about 150gph turnover. With the removal of the MP10, I think this upgrade will be sufficient for any LPS/SPS corals that I add in the future, without having to add a powerhead.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update!🙂F4A3B3D6-E632-431D-8C8E-D5C3F9979DC6.thumb.jpeg.97c3cb56182db85741fbd7c79994fae7.jpeg1C13919F-BEFF-42D7-A60C-6F3DA5DE9ED7.thumb.jpeg.6c25cdd667f12dd6bbd5c7622e8d6aff.jpeg4508E784-87B9-407B-938B-EADE91A90F99.thumb.jpeg.b5b573eb0c4c4ef1b910aa45f68032b8.jpegF05CEEA5-35D0-40E1-9759-50CA885689DD.thumb.jpeg.96df13028cde76a32874bf52b7706a74.jpeg4B7E7E92-E722-4444-B1B2-499600EDD74B.thumb.jpeg.af5de346a1fe4fa401fed1099e3bf6f9.jpegD410EA2F-B954-49CE-B2D5-40D2701E0C6E.thumb.jpeg.86be9c65215020219a9299a6a336e6f8.jpegEBADCFF2-1B97-486C-BC94-A3EC9216F812.thumb.jpeg.aceec5ec96a227e3c8c6edacaeb149ea.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ugh its like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid!!! My tank and lights are on the UPS truck out for delivery. Still have to go get the sand and salt mix but wont be able to set it up until week after next due to work travel. 

• 1 month later...
Daniel92481
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How's your pico reef coming along @Daniel92481? Hopefully that anemone has stayed put 😄 

Hey! The pico is doing great! Yes, the RFA has stayed put and has found his happy spot, but we won’t say it too loud haha. I was actually planning on doing an update on it this weekend. I also have some exciting news to share about the near future. Stay tuned! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1