SaltCritters.com

Stan’s Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

Stanboy

After lurking for so long on this site and seeing all the amazing tanks, I have decided to create an aquarium journal for my new nano tank. I have kept a 10g nano tank for about a year now and finally pulled the trigger to get the innovative marine lagoon after it coming back in stock. I always loved the dimension of this tank because of it being shallow but have a larger foot print to spread corals out. 

All I have to show now is just the tank and the current scape that I have chosen. For lighting I really wanted to try out a kessil light, so I think I’m going to try and go with the A360we. 

The only thing I am having trouble deciding is heating and flow for this tank since I am looking to get a mixed reef with a nice bit of SPS. Hopefully be able to get into acros one day. 

9/23/21 FTS Update :

ABF797CE-CC45-45F4-99A2-C65AD64E27DF.thumb.jpeg.e09d79ea70e13a748719078e7e6da3a3.jpeg

954DC7EC-2C61-4B10-8D1A-F831A4B147C6.thumb.jpeg.0965a18418475fcf035637d0d66c8876.jpeg

84662317-FA69-4B8E-BF03-E4DAD59CDDB6.thumb.jpeg.5c698ac2ef32419c8c9150a23e21cd44.jpeg

9E2835CF-5E3E-4DAE-BC7A-0836D6E26BE5.thumb.jpeg.30c25ec0a6061e7b50c0da59a71d2d70.jpeg

Top Down Shot - 9/25

B754B8E7-C30A-4852-A884-54975C23F625.thumb.jpeg.1dd3f0d330071da5e71563ef1ab8bfa0.jpeg

8E8E4B84-C894-4E96-92F6-558E30C43C18.jpeg

• Like 6

I love the lagoon and really love the dimensions of the tank.

I use an aqueon pro heater in the second chamber with an inkbird controller. Jagger won't fit and the cobalt i was using totally malfunctioned.

My flow, mighty jet pump with rfg nozzles and a kps wavemaker. The kps is a cool wavemaker but i find the flow very gentle

Have you checked out the nero 3 for water movement.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2020 at 9:26 PM, Clown79 said:

I love the lagoon and really love the dimensions of the tank.

I use an aqueon pro heater in the second chamber with an inkbird controller. Jagger won't fit and the cobalt i was using totally malfunctioned.

My flow, mighty jet pump with rfg nozzles and a kps wavemaker. The kps is a cool wavemaker but i find the flow very gentle

Have you checked out the nero 3 for water movement.

Thanks for the heater recommendation and I was going to get the cobalt but heard all the stories so I wanted to get a glass heater which I have been using my eheim and had no issues. 

never heard of the kps wave maker. Also I always knew about the Nero 5 but didn’t feel like paying the price. Just found out about the Nero 3 after just buying the knockoff Jebao version. Now I gotta see if I can return it to get the Nero instead since it’s not that much pricier.

I also wonder do you run a skimmer on your tank? I never ran a skimmer before in my old tank because of space restrictions. Now with all the extra space wondering if it is worth it.

Take a look at the Bulk Reef Supply heater/controller system. Quality and great price. I also have an Ink Bird controller and a finnex titanium in there, running the dual heater system in my lagoon 25.

I have a couple of Tunze turbelle nanostreams, hooked up to their multi-controller, started with one, but I couldn't get the flow i wanted, had some dead spots with how my rock was arranged. I know you said you balked at the price, but in the long run, don't skimp on flow, especially if you want to run a mixed reef. $150 dollars could be just 3-4 coral frags. I feel two smaller pumps work better for this size of tank rather than say a single Nero 5.

I do not run a skimmer, only some filter pad and regular water changes. Saves money and headaches. Just make sure your rock gets established well as you are using dry rock. 

42 minutes ago, Garf said:

Take a look at the Bulk Reef Supply heater/controller system. Quality and great price. I also have an Ink Bird controller and a finnex titanium in there, running the dual heater system in my lagoon 25.

I have a couple of Tunze turbelle nanostreams, hooked up to their multi-controller, started with one, but I couldn't get the flow i wanted, had some dead spots with how my rock was arranged. I know you said you balked at the price, but in the long run, don't skimp on flow, especially if you want to run a mixed reef. $150 dollars could be just 3-4 coral frags. I feel two smaller pumps work better for this size of tank rather than say a single Nero 5.

I do not run a skimmer, only some filter pad and regular water changes. Saves money and headaches. Just make sure your rock gets established well as you are using dry rock. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been using a Jebao for a year now in my 10g and I really liked it so I decided to get another one for the Lagoon. But your not wrong when 150$ is like a couple of corals. 

I am making sure I get my rock established well this time. Learning from my mistakes when I started my 10g. Any tips for getting the rock well established. This time the length of time it takes me doesn’t really matter too much, since I have another tank to look at while it’s doing a lot of the work in a bucket. 

13 minutes ago, Stanboy said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been using a Jebao for a year now in my 10g and I really liked it so I decided to get another one for the Lagoon. But your not wrong when 150$ is like a couple of corals. 

I am making sure I get my rock established well this time. Learning from my mistakes when I started my 10g. Any tips for getting the rock well established. This time the length of time it takes me doesn’t really matter too much, since I have another tank to look at while it’s doing a lot of the work in a bucket. 

Just to add in the bacteria, and give it time, the more time, the better. Getting fish in there helps, their waste can help. It is important to have the right amount of biofiltration for the size of the tank, the general 1lb of rock per gallon of water works well, but it also depends on the type of rock. I always select pretty porous rock, which can take up a lot of space. In my Evo 13,5, I started with just under 12lbs, and ended up splitting one rock in half and ended up with around 10#.  I have also carried over rock from each previous tank as I upgraded. EVO 5g to EVO 13.5 to Lagoon 25. 

You might try and swap rock from the 10g and the new tank. That may be a good way to boost the biodiversity a bit, and you wouldn't have to get a piece from the LFS.  I wouldn't be concerned about bringing over any nasties with it, unless it was over run with aptasia, or something like GSP or xenia. Any algae can be trimmed by pulling, and adding that can give your cleanup crew the fuel they need to survive (they will usually eat the trimmed, short stuff, not long stringy stuff).  

If you are curing it in a bucket, do some research on the microbacter usage, I just dosed daily in my display tank. BRS had a good video on dosing bacteria to help with getting a tank more established to help deal with algae issues. 

1 hour ago, Garf said:

Just to add in the bacteria, and give it time, the more time, the better. Getting fish in there helps, their waste can help. It is important to have the right amount of biofiltration for the size of the tank, the general 1lb of rock per gallon of water works well, but it also depends on the type of rock. I always select pretty porous rock, which can take up a lot of space. In my Evo 13,5, I started with just under 12lbs, and ended up splitting one rock in half and ended up with around 10#.  I have also carried over rock from each previous tank as I upgraded. EVO 5g to EVO 13.5 to Lagoon 25. 

You might try and swap rock from the 10g and the new tank. That may be a good way to boost the biodiversity a bit, and you wouldn't have to get a piece from the LFS.  I wouldn't be concerned about bringing over any nasties with it, unless it was over run with aptasia, or something like GSP or xenia. Any algae can be trimmed by pulling, and adding that can give your cleanup crew the fuel they need to survive (they will usually eat the trimmed, short stuff, not long stringy stuff).  

If you are curing it in a bucket, do some research on the microbacter usage, I just dosed daily in my display tank. BRS had a good video on dosing bacteria to help with getting a tank more established to help deal with algae issues. 

Thanks. Ye I had got some microbacter7 to get the tank going. I wanted to start fresh cuz my current tank has bubble algae and don’t want to deal with that in the new thank

22 hours ago, Stanboy said:

Thanks for the heater recommendation and I was going to get the cobalt but heard all the stories so I wanted to get a glass heater which I have been using my eheim and had no issues. 

never heard of the kps wave maker. Also I always knew about the Nero 5 but didn’t feel like paying the price. Just found out about the Nero 3 after just buying the knockoff Jebao version. Now I gotta see if I can return it to get the Nero instead since it’s not that much pricier.

I also wonder do you run a skimmer on your tank? I never ran a skimmer before in my old tank because of space restrictions. Now with all the extra space wondering if it is worth it.

I run no skimmers or refugiums on my nano tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

10/19 Update:

Finally got my stand all assembled and reinforced. Like the stand Prolific breed was using for his IM25 tank. So I decided to do the same except I added extra metal bracing and wood bracing inside to make it sturdy. 

Had to move my current tank to it’s temporary spot, since I want to use the same spot for the new tank. The rock and everything is still cycling and hoping to slowly move corals over to new tank as the rock matures. Got some nice pieces that I don’t want to lose while the tank is in the beginning phases. 

30DA6A76-0278-4AD3-B2E0-705AAB0A2553.jpeg

E9F7D7F0-AA36-4631-B091-912BFA6A6A01.jpeg

620116DB-F9F4-4884-8285-A74E5DA64C4E.jpeg

0D037837-197D-4233-A9B0-5C5BA239346F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

11/1 - Update 

And we off. Finally got this tank filled up. Was half a days works since I only have 5g buckets and have to make RO water was I was filling up the tank. 

045D4E3F-8FB7-4032-8183-4474A76C42AA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

12/18 Update

Installed all the light and after everything has been soaked and cycled. Left the tank seeding pods and feeding the tank phyto. After a month, finally added some fish. 
D57A463F-9139-486B-81E9-5D63F9FB5FF2.thumb.jpeg.bd913021680264a19a0dada4278d0e51.jpeg

03CE916C-2E0D-40AD-8340-C026D4E5DF63.thumb.jpeg.db72793405e3a29ec1818ffd26b3f048.jpeg

Lights are almost done. Going to look to get a par meter to see if the lights are too bright. But it is a mix of Aliexpress bar with custom LEDs and two AI primes. The other one is still on my current nano that is running. 

Everything is all set up. Dosing tubes and ATO is all complete and ready for when I start moving coral. Now is just a little waiting for the fish to feed the rocks a little before I start moving all my coral and fish from my old tank. 

5AE95374-D373-4415-B8B6-F67F3C797D79.jpeg

• Like 1

I like how you have all that room on your stand. I feel like it would just make it easier when working on your tank. You have a lot of room to place corals on that flat rock to the left too. Should fill in nicely depending what you put there!

12 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I like how you have all that room on your stand. I feel like it would just make it easier when working on your tank. You have a lot of room to place corals on that flat rock to the left too. Should fill in nicely depending what you put there!

Funny part is it’s suppose to be used for placing keys since that tank is right by the front door. Hoping to use that top portion for some SPS or just turn it into a torch garden. 

• Like 1

12/23 - update 

Beginning the transfer of corals. Starting with the hardiest things in my old tank. My unkillable elegance and some softies that I had. 

Included the final pic of my old 10g tank in all its glory before all the moving. Not sure if this is the right place to put this. But it’s a nano tank. 

E170FC7D-F855-46D1-B9DC-2BBF6BCC241F.jpeg

79F4DC08-D699-4B09-B274-A68C5C1E7327.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

1/9/21 Update - Starting relocation phase 

Started relocating a lot of the LPS corals from my old tank to the new tank. This required me to start dosing kalk in the new tank. Also finally manage to tune my Tunze 9001DC skimmer. First time using a skimmer and flooded that skimmer for the first week. Finally learn to use the air control knob to adjust the skimmer and got it skimming right. Wanted to use this to allow me some room for my coral feedings.

After having my hammers and test corals look good for a week, I have moved some of my more delicate corals such as the Gonioporas. 
Another positive of the new fish tank was getting to see my neon goby start hopping and resting on my elegance corals. The next mod is getting the back of the tank ready to put a little refugium. Got the light ready just have to move some of the stuff in the back such as the ATO sensors to make some space  

Apologize for any format errors. Working off an iPad since my old tank is sitting in front of computer. Priorities HahaB04DC2E4-31F4-4EC6-ADBB-2387A5F5F1A2.thumb.jpeg.71fec38df3cbb072fa73782130738476.jpeg1B8C5044-4EEB-4FA8-9E70-CE77D98D84F5.thumb.jpeg.8d403dca2983e0a1044934e40ac7303d.jpeg1326AC9F-42E0-4163-B0A5-93778A9D14FC.thumb.jpeg.efbb01ccb507c92882915c5cf464ce4a.jpeg0EFBF5B7-D68C-4906-BD60-E5076F057BE3.thumb.jpeg.1656d731c8503ef1c085f83c6efd1d41.jpeg41EE7D05-099F-4AA6-8493-8BEB5B7854E2.thumb.jpeg.ff0ca83c6e250033cffb0ff58efb00f0.jpeg

Finally have to figure out a creative solution to my first fans. Had to be installed even during the winter for those weird hot spells, while the my building heat was still left on.DE156CEA-851F-4950-8B03-F90F8834823F.thumb.jpeg.14dde1ebad4c91fd3339a0eee6fa7eb5.jpeg

1/22/21 Update

I have entered full euphyilla mode. I am trying to start a hammer and torch garden. Always wanted a hammer garden from the beginning, the torches just started getting into the high end stuff.

Also working on my goniopora collection but after a couple of hiccups with gonis I haven’t had the heart to get more. Maybe as my tank ages. 

As of right now all the tank in habitants are pretty happy. The only thing is trying to juggle the flow in this tank. Since I am not using any power head except the small one in the back to kick up the detritus from setting in the back where I am unable to access easily. I am only using my two return lines as a source of flow. Been trying to play with it so it’s not too harsh on the gonis and hammers. Also got to fight dinos the third time in my hobby. At least this time I have a tank that is built to use filter socks so it’s much easier. 

Just going to leave some pics of my tank. 65E40D67-A6E7-466B-943E-E033985021D2.thumb.jpeg.72244b1ec742fae177152539ad4762b1.jpeg916B96A2-ED91-4CE5-8B2E-BDAB0F240B4E.thumb.jpeg.8306b989a962138beb1bf1d5c4331052.jpegE57DDC6F-F14C-4506-9B70-A12505A6A9EA.thumb.jpeg.656c2f252b3c4a4c7b439f26d90acdf4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, lilmatty5dimes said:

Wow that looks amazing. Great aquascape and your hammer/torch garden looks great. 

Thanks you very much. I am a big hammer, frogspawn, torch guy. Trying to dabble into gonis. But if I could I would have turn this whole tank into a hammer garden.

• Like 1

2/21/21 Update

Monthly update time:

So I have added a lot of new torches to fill in the space I had on the top left. This was my intended goal with my tank to have a euphyillia and Goni tank. Luckily I manage to snag these pieces before the indo ban. The only hard part was balancing the light since that spot is directly under the center of my prime. I had to add a diffuser and tune the light down till I got to 180-200 par. My prime setting looks so awkward because of it since it running at 15-20% power. 

As for dosing I have gotten my kalkwasser dialed in and still haven’t gotten the need of adding extra dosing since I am still able to kee up with Alk intake. My Alk actually swung up when I left a dying goni after a poor shipping accident with the super cold days. This pissed off my other corals and it made them not as happy. Now that the rotting corals are all gone everything is a lot happier.

I learned one thing is don’t buy corals in the winters. The temp swings are too drastic and lost too many corals which was such a shame.

As of right now my corals are super happy. Hoping to have my hammers split more heads. I have gotten a lot of zoas after trading for some old equipment from my old tank. Pretty much at the point where I just wanna keep the tank happy. 

Now I’m at the point of investing into better equipment, such as testing equipment and maybe better lights or controller. Realize have so much money poured into corals. Why not spend some of that equivalent money on the tank. 

Now just the picture section. 
5120FF5F-705B-4D66-8C05-C41DF45C6D51.thumb.jpeg.cfd454010048296cb3b32dfd3f74163c.jpeg

1F544D10-86F2-4EF5-8B19-216A1ADE9FAD.thumb.jpeg.0ece598d2a82e51824983b0290c77c1f.jpeg

DF8ABC41-7740-473E-AB45-D9A9A82CAE67.thumb.jpeg.91b67f230f91ca8aa86f87c981248a44.jpeg

7A5744C2-4588-401D-AEF6-9090F91CBA72.jpeg

• Like 1

2/24 Update/testing 

After a couple of days of removing some bubble algae off a frag and not rinsing it before putting it back into the tank. I think I have spread some of the bubble algae. My old tank use to have bubble algae and it had taken over that tank to infestation levels. During the transfers I spent a lot of time and effort to pick and clean all the corals before placing them in the tank. I broke off a lot of corals and threw them out after I noticed it had bubble algae and didn’t want to risk bringing it into the new tank. 

Now recently I started to notice that bubble algae to start popping up more after the incident with the frag scrapping incident. It’s not crazy infestation levels but controllable. I have decided to nip it in the bud so I’m going to start testing vibrant. Since I have seen many good reviews and a lot of other reefers I spoke to have used it to clean up their bubble algae. I only bought an 8oz bottle since my tank is fairly clean. No hair algae, only what I believe is diatoms since it’s like a brown dusting and the rock is trying to turn green. 

I am going to start with their standard dosage of 1ml per 10 gallon every two weeks. But I’m going to split it to dose every week and see what happens. My tank is a 25g. So I’m just going to do 1ml a week. 

Learned doesn’t matter if this takes a while as long as it kills off any last remainder of the bubble algae that’s trying to cling on and I don’t have an infestation I’ll be happy. Keep this thread updates on the progress as today is the first day of dosing.

• 3 weeks later...

3/20 Update:

Tank update:

Lost a beautiful frog spawn. Not sure what happen but it was super happy for one day and all of a sudden it just started deteriorating . Been having these coral deaths. One coral every month not sure why. I suspect it maybe a fish is getting nippy at my corals since the coral shows no signs of decline except a small nip taken from it then the whole head just disappears. Happen 3 times now all the same scenario. Going to let go of the fish just in case. 

Vibrant dosing:

I have been using the recommended dosing for a clean tank. But I split it in half and doses weekly instead of biweekly. I honestly have noticed no change. Except coraline growth is starting to explode. Like the diatoms I have on some spots of my rock has declined. Every once in a while I will see one tiny bubble algae bubble. I guess it’s less often as before the dose. But I don’t wait to see if vibrant will take care of the bubble. I kill it off as soon as I see it. So not sure if it’s the vibrant or just manual removal that is keeping the bubble algae at bay. But definitely less often I see it. Will continue until I use up my bottle and see what happens.  

Some people have experienced raising in nitrates due to vibrant dosing. But my tank is so squeaky clean except for some diatoms that I don’t think it affected my tank. I noticed nitrates raising before the dosing. 

Overall tank:

Moves my lights further out to the edge due to my hammers growing and shading other hammers at the edge. 

I attempted microbacter7 dosing hoping to be like a light carbon dosing to lower nitrates. But it pissed my corals off, due to my bottle being funky, since I may have contaminated the bottle by accidentally dipping the pippette I use for it in the tank. Now the bottle smells like feet when I open it.

Other than the coral death. Tank has been happy. Gonis are growing, hammers are growing, SPS is growing. Showing good signs since the Alk intake is increasing. Could be coraline algae growing. Still want to get coraline on the back wall. Have it on my power heads and every surface except for the back wall. 

Tank is chugging along so now let’s get some pics in: 

551F1D38-E66B-42FC-8D9C-014013E45D86.thumb.jpeg.2219d82ba3dafef18724e6951dcfc1c6.jpeg

82EF295D-F59A-4E23-AE72-F1E35B774184.thumb.jpeg.7994201d1ea9bf1a0bb0da698bc741f6.jpeg

423D6831-DBF7-4948-9ADC-BA6BB57A2FDB.thumb.jpeg.79c51ff961b9c592d446142c20030e50.jpeg

D4678F97-3F2C-45AA-A432-E5B81DDF05A4.thumb.jpeg.f561b0c9edffeecfc2239411e347dba4.jpeg

DDE48B00-A978-49FC-A2E4-B67DB707310C.thumb.jpeg.d67337525cb246301ef54eca81878d85.jpeg

• Like 2