EasyMac24

Clown Health

EasyMac24

Hey! I've had a clown since Jan 2020 and I recently added a second a few weeks ago. All seems to be well between them, minus the occasional "reminder of dominance." 

But lately I've become concerned for their health. I've seen both of them taking big gulps of water recently, and I wasn't sure if this is okay. I sat in front of the tank for a little over an hour and caught both of them do it twice. The smaller clown used to breathe rapidly, but that has seemed to go away after increasing dark hours; I figured it was stress related due to the introduction of the bigger dominant clown. I've attached two pictures below, but I'm afraid they wont tell much more information.

Unfortunately, when I first got the one clown (the smaller, paler one) I was inexperienced and really rushed it. So I had an uncycled tank and quickly used prime to establish bacteria in the tank and provide ammonia/nitrate/nitrite neutralizers (i know, really not good). There have been spikes in the past, but currently all of my water testing strips are showing 0 for both nitrites and nitrates. I plan to get a higher quality testing kit tonight and test the water this way to see if it is any different. Brown algae also started growing on my live rock. Its a 10 gal tank with nothing fancy but a decent filter and heater/thermometer. I've fed them once a day since the second clown addition.

A lot to unpack here, and I apologize, but thank you in advance for your time and help.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

RedCrow
10 minutes ago, EasyMac24 said:

But lately I've become concerned for their health. I've seen both of them taking big gulps of water recently, and I wasn't sure if this is okay.

Could you explain this I bit more? It sounds like they’re just yawning to me. 

How long has this tank been set up? It looks very sterile for being up since January. 

EasyMac24
1 minute ago, RedCrow said:

Could you explain this I bit more? It sounds like they’re just yawning to me.

I thought it was yawning initially, I just wasn't sure and got a little paranoid so I thought I'd see what other people thought. Its really just them opening their mouth wide and then doing whatever. I just haven't noticed it in the 9 months I've had a clown.

EasyMac24
8 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

How long has this tank been set up? It looks very sterile for being up since January.

I didn't see this previously, and i agree. But it has been up with a clown since January/February. Live rock, substrate, everything. I just moved decor around this morning and on the other side of the live rock is ton of brown, and from what I've read I thought it was brown algae. 

The live rock in there was bought as dry rock. 

Hazy

+1 for yawning. My clowns do that all the time. Had them for a few years never been an issue. 

EasyMac24

so I created a thread because my clowns were yawning... lmfao 

Thanks for relieving my paranoia!

• Haha 1

Hazy

It’s good that your paying attention though! 
you can look up pics on the web of clowns yawning. They’re pretty adorable 

Clown79

Probably yawning but is there a powerhead for water movement?

The filter alone often won't provide enough surface water movement which does affect oxygen, gas exhange.

EasyMac24
10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Probably yawning but is there a powerhead for water movement?

The filter alone often won't provide enough surface water movement which does affect oxygen, gas exhange.

No, I've largely relied on the filter outflow and a bubbler to aggravate the surface water.