ReefCleaners.org

Changing powerhead locations impact on coral and fishs

paulsz

Hi all, 

A bit of a rookie question. I have a fluval evo 13.5 with a SW4 running on the lowest setting, in W2 mode. I had originally put it one of the long walls, pointing to the other long wall (about 11" away). But I feel like it'd do better on the other wall (the wall opposite the overflow of the return nozzles). 

So I ask: are there any issues with changing flows like that, all of a sudden? Would it stress fish and coral, given they were acclimated to the old flow? 

I know with softies, it probably isn't a huge issue and they'll get used to it. Whenever i clean the powerhead during water changes, the flow increase is substantial and the mushrooms, kenya tree, GSP and blue sympodium definitely feel it. But they eventually settle down. But what about SPS? Should I buy some SPS frags and later decide to change the flow, would that stress them out? 

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Pic of how it looks now?

Birdsnest corals seem particularly sensitive to flow changes, depending on how established and how healthy they are.

Red arrow shows where it used to be

20200930_100643~2.jpg

As long as you don't incidentally create any dead zones around any of the corals when you switch up the flow I think you'll be fine.  Do be careful of that....verify your new flow pattern to the extent that you can – don't wait for your corals to "act out". 

Birdsnet corals would be the main exception I know...I've moved large colonies that were many years-established, but I've had trouble with "large frags".  Small frags are less trouble than large frags.  Two days without heat @71ºF took out that large birdsnest I just mentioned though....no other corals (or fish) were affected.  Birdsnest corals are awesome and grow fast, but they are not the toughest.

• Like 1