inTank Media Baskets

Twin Desktop Pico's

Ratvan

36 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Jeez that's bizarre, the A80 should be fine on shallow tanks and isn't what most would call "too strong" for much of anything... Did the temp in the house or the tank change at all?

Sorry for confusing the background info of your system, have another sinus infection and I may as well be blowing my brains out my nose with how ditzy I've been.

I'm thinking some form of heavy metal contamination to be honest, i think that any stray current would also affect the fish and clean up crew? I'm looking at the epoxy i coated the Kessil mounting bracket with to see if any has come off or didnt cover the entire metallic object.

Nothings changes as far as I can tell in the house, but it is England so we dont have AC or central air or any of that fancy HVAC stuff

21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm thinking some form of heavy metal contamination to be honest, i think that any stray current would also affect the fish and clean up crew? I'm looking at the epoxy i coated the Kessil mounting bracket with to see if any has come off or didnt cover the entire metallic object.

Nothings changes as far as I can tell in the house, but it is England so we dont have AC or central air or any of that fancy HVAC stuff

Overnight RTN can definitely happen from temperature swings in excess of 5F, current won't necessarily impact anything at all honestly it's just something some people swear caused one problem or another, the kessil mount should be inert and iron isn't really dangerous per-se to begin with...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Overnight RTN can definitely happen from temperature swings in excess of 5F, current won't necessarily impact anything at all honestly it's just something some people swear caused one problem or another, the kessil mount should be inert and iron isn't really dangerous per-se to begin with...

Im pretty sure the inkbird would have alarmed if the temp dropped that much. Edit. Yeah tested and alarms sounded at 74f (removed probe from tank) 

• Like 1

Have you sprayed any air fresheners in the room? I know my grandmother loved to spray stuff in the living room when she lived with my dad around his open top tank. Luckily it was total system of 100g so a little didn't affect it but in a tiny tank like that, small things add up quick. Did you add the water from the clown fish into the tank?

3 minutes ago, PieMan2k said:

Have you sprayed any air fresheners in the room? I know my grandmother loved to spray stuff in the living room when she lived with my dad around his open top tank. Luckily it was total system of 100g so a little didn't affect it but in a tiny tank like that, small things add up quick. Did you add the water from the clown fish into the tank?

No I dont use aerosols at all in the house. I would have expected to lose some of my FW shrimp at the same time for things like that, also if i had contaminants in the water they usually act as the canary in the tank 

Did I add the water from the what to where for the Clowns?

Sorry, should have clarified more. When you bought the clowns they came in water and in a plastic bag I assume. Did you add the water from the plastic bag to the tank.

18 minutes ago, PieMan2k said:

Sorry, should have clarified more. When you bought the clowns they came in water and in a plastic bag I assume. Did you add the water from the plastic bag to the tank.

Ahhhh I'm with you now.

I got them 6 months ago, they went into the RSM at my office (now closed) into a Spec V (now sold) and finally into the Pico. They've seen a few places 😄

Each transfer was all the live rock and at least 50% of the water transferred across

This Pico has been "cycled" and stable for at least 7 weeks now.

Edit: rest of numbers

Alk: 8.4
Calcium 450
Magnesium: 1350

ahh ok, I thought you bought them when you got the coral. I know stores around me put copper in their water with fish only to prevent disease but corals cant tolerate any of that.

1 minute ago, PieMan2k said:

ahh ok, I thought you bought them when you got the coral. I know stores around me put copper in their water with fish only to prevent disease but corals cant tolerate any of that.

No they been in the tank since set up (to start/maintain cycle), I have ordered some polypad today so hopefully I can identify some contaminate or other issue before I add again, probably 5 or so weeks after i move house

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

S.I.P Puaka.

I found him in dead inside the HOB this morning. He'd been through the inlet pipe and had obvious wounds from the impeller.

I removed the HOB filter and re attached the craft mesh as a cover over the input again, I think that perhaps one of the ceriths had bumped it loose and he got caught in the section when sleeping

• Sad 3

You ever thought of maybe starting some tv drama about fish tanks because your luck is poop!
"You never can tell whether bad luck may not after all turn out to be good luck." - Winston Churchill. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Proxo said:

You ever thought of maybe starting some tv drama about fish tanks because your luck is poop!
"You never can tell whether bad luck may not after all turn out to be good luck." - Winston Churchill. 

Im one more issue away from chucking in the towel to be honest. The Betta puddle looks good

IMG_20201215_124010.jpg

• Like 2

C. Wendetti. I think yes. I'm waiting for the typical crypt rot but haven't seen any and have lots of new baby shoots too.. Also got some Siamensis 53b throughout the back and trying to block the inlet to HOB. 

I'm doing weekly water changes and daily feeds until I move and hopefully get an upgrade in

IMG_20201215_124014.thumb.jpg.d5b149378a7f7aa8430f1bafb0d6d1f6.jpg

• Like 3