Pod Your Reef

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner review

seabass

I just finished a run with Algaefix marine to treat hair algae.  After the first dose i noticed a few micro stars dying, no change in algae.  Second dose, all the micro stars were floating around the tank dying

Source

since adding algaefix i no longer see flatworms

Source

Those quotes are about Algaefix (not Vibrant), but don't they sound familiar?  I have a bottle of Seachem Stability coming so I can check it under my microscope for comparison against Vibrant (to see if I can see bacteria in either sample).  I also plan on experimenting with phyto and rotifers.  This won't prove anything, but it could be interesting.

The loss of flatworms is worth noting.  Toxins released from dying flatworms might explain some negative reviews (not to mention all the metals and organics being released from algae breaking down).  It's no wonder why using activated carbon is often recommended.  Disclosure, I still haven't run activated carbon during these treatments.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, seabass said:

I found a bottle of Kent Purple Tech... I decided that I'm going to use it up

That small bottle is now gone.  I didn't get my testing, the water change, or dosing done Tuesday; so maybe later today.  I'll post the test results; and maybe even check the calcium level this time around.

I feel that the algae has been greatly been reduced since starting the Vibrant treatments.  I'll have to shoot another video soon, so that everyone can take a look around.  The transformation has been undeniable; although not entirely, 100% positive.

Test day today:

40 Gallon 12/16/20 12/06/20 11/29/20 11/22/20 11/15/20 11/09/20
Alkalinity: 11.5 dKH 11.8 dKH 12.5 dKH 11.2 dKH 11.5 dKH 11.3 dKH
Phosphorus: 8 ppb* 7 ppb 2 ppb 6 ppb 9 ppb 4 ppb
Nitrate : 2.5 ppm 2.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 2.5 ppm

100 Gallon 12/16/20 12/06/20 11/29/20 11/22/20 11/15/20 11/09/20
Alkalinity: 11.5 dKH 11.8 dKH 11.8 dKH 10.7 dKH 10.9 dKH 11.5 dKH
Phosphorus: 11 ppb** 10 ppb 22 ppb 11 ppb 8 ppb 10 ppb
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 5.0 ppm

* 0.024 ppm phosphate

** 0.034 ppm phosphate

I'm still dosing nitrate, but never resorted to dosing phosphate.  I'm glad I decided not to dose phosphate, as I'm fine with the current levels.  The calcium levels were 500 ppm in the 40 gallon tank, and >500 ppm in the 100 gallon tank.

The water change and Vibrant dosing will have to wait at least another day.  Oh well, I guess it's just that busy time of year.

Oh, I forgot to mention... I spotted a pod and a couple of flatworms in my 40 gallon tank.  Maybe there's still hope that I haven't lost all the biodiversity.

• Like 2
On 12/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, debbeach13 said:

[vermetid snails] The cockroach of reef tanks.

Speaking of vermetid snails, here's a shot of my rock in one of my Banggai cardinalfish nurseries:

121720a.jpg

This rock was introduced as clean, dry rock.  Apparently, one of the snails brought this into the tank.  Got to love it. :rolleyes:

• Wow 2
29 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

When I pick up a rock I can feel the little suckers breaking and I always wonder if that helps spread the little suckers.

I feel it has a lot to do with food.  My nurseries get fed often; I'm sure that's why they have reproduced so abundantly.

• Like 1

Ouch. Looks like a step backward, at least in that spot. Doesn't bode well for the biodiversity. 

Vibrant kinda looks like it's shaping up to be a lite version of the ol' "throw everything out and start over" solution to pests. Chuck all the algae out and start over.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grimes said:

Not sure the pic captured it right but I think the Nov 11 looks cleaner from algae other than the bubble 🤔

You're not wrong.  Although much of what you are seeing are forms of cyanobacteria.  I believe the resulting release of organics due to dosing Vibrant provides cyano with favorable conditions for growth.  Plus, the bare bottom was just recently revealed in the earlier pic, so it appears clean.

I feel (as you point out) that the pics actually help demonstrate what I'm fighting against.  My tanks are dealing with cyano and feel more out of balance than before dosing.  I'm actually putting much more work into my tanks, which isn't really reflected in the results.

By eliminating one pest, or exposing a new area, other invaders (or even coralline) might take advantage and claim the real estate.  My tanks are battling for a new balance.  One of my thoughts is that I need to let this play out to some extent on its own (without introducing more chemicals to treat cyano).  My efforts are more focused on removal of organics.

I believe this balance comes with tank maturity.  My feeling is that by letting some of this play out on its own (assuming it's not too bad), my tanks will be further along when I'm done.  I'll try to get video up soon, so you can see the bigger picture of what's going on.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Ouch. Looks like a step backward, at least in that spot. Doesn't bode well for the biodiversity. 

Vibrant kinda looks like it's shaping up to be a lite version of the ol' "throw everything out and start over" solution to pests. Chuck all the algae out and start over.

I definitely agree.  Prior to dosing, my tanks could go for months without a water change.  And while they weren't that pretty, they had a certain balance to them.  Now things seem to be teetering more towards out of control.  While not actually that bad, I feel they've lost that balance (a definite step back as you say).

I'm looking forward to regaining control and building back the diversity and tank maturity.  It's a kind of reboot, as you implied.

• Like 3

Just had a thought; KP Aquatics sells live rock, and can add a pound of live rock to an existing order. From what I've read, they have really good live rock. They also have ricordeas and other nice things. You might consider placing an order with them after you're done dosing Vibrant, because a chunk of ocean rock would be pretty much the best possible way to help get your biodiversity up. 

• Like 3

Here's a look at the two tanks without any cleanup.  I took these pics to show what I'm facing; although if I did a deep cleaning, it would tell a completely different story.  After I sell my Banggai cardinalfish juveniles, my plan is to temporarily move the rock and inhabitants to that 40 gallon nursery tank, then deep clean (both of these tanks, one at a time).

100 gallon tank:

010421a.jpg

010421b.jpg

010421c.jpg

40 gallon tank:

010421d.jpg

010421e.jpg

010421f.jpg

Below, the same rock on October 8th:

100720g.jpg

So you can see that the tanks might look dirty; but in reality, the algae is getting much better.

However, I don't want people thinking that this is a no pain process, or that there are no negative impacts, or that it's a quick solution, or that you can get rid of the problem algae in your display with just a $30 bottle of solution.  I'm nearing the bottom of the first of two 16 oz bottles of Vibrant; however, I think I've also already gone through two 150 gallon buckets of salt mix.  At about $40 a bucket, that's well over $100 spent to date.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Kudos to your ability to see this through. 

I initially read this as "Kudos to your ability to see through", as in, see through the glass. :lol:

• Haha 5

Tested yesterday:

40 Gallon 01/07/21 12/16/20 12/06/20 11/29/20 11/22/20 11/15/20
Alkalinity: 10.2 dKH 11.5 dKH 11.8 dKH 12.5 dKH 11.2 dKH 11.5 dKH
Phosphorus: 1 ppb* 8 ppb 7 ppb 2 ppb 6 ppb 9 ppb
Nitrate : 0.0 ppm 2.5 ppm 2.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 2.0 ppm

100 Gallon 01/07/21 12/16/20 12/06/20 11/29/20 11/22/20 11/15/20
Alkalinity: 10.5 dKH 11.5 dKH 11.8 dKH 11.8 dKH 10.7 dKH 10.9 dKH
Phosphorus: 7 ppb** 11 ppb 10 ppb 22 ppb 11 ppb 8 ppb
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 2.0 ppm 5.0 ppm 5.0 ppm

* 0.003 ppm phosphate

** 0.021 ppm phosphate

Nutrients appear to have bottomed out in my 40 gallon tank.  I'm sure it was due to the cyano.  After testing, I did a water change and removed a significant amount of cyano.  However, I didn't dose Vibrant because I plan on doing another water change today (after which I'll dose Vibrant).  I'm also still considering very small doses of phosphate to help with coral health and potentially help prevent a future dino bloom.

• Like 4

What a wild process, considering how much in raw organics must have been tied up in all that algae the cyano definitely isn't a surprise. The Vibrant certainly seems to be doing what it says it'll do on the bottle, but man the aftermath sure is a pain to sort out, I almost wonder if it would be better to just drip a much lower dose over the course of most a year to attempt getting the same results but without some of the hardship and system-shock.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

What a wild process, considering how much in raw organics must have been tied up in all that algae the cyano definitely isn't a surprise. The Vibrant certainly seems to be doing what it says it'll do on the bottle, but man the aftermath sure is a pain to sort out, I almost wonder if it would be better to just drip a much lower dose over the course of most a year to attempt getting the same results but without some of the hardship and system-shock.

Let us know how that goes.:)