Cultivated Reef

Hi 

My Carpet Anemone got caught in my wave maker. My water was all cloudy, I thought he was all mulch. Switched off the system took him out, now he is in a quarantine tank. Give me tips to ensure he survives. He has shed off the hurt parts in jello stands. He keep shrinking and expanding. I wanna know when and what to feed him. I wanna ensure his recovery. 

I do not know if you can do any thing just yet. Can you post a picture of what it looks like now? Often feeding a damaged coral will help it recover but I wouldn't think you should do that right away. How long ago did it get damaged? Was the QT tank cycled or set up as an emergency tank? What is the set up of the QT tank, are you running a filter, what is in the tank, any live rock or bio media? With out more info I would let it be,, Gentle flow and maybe low to no lights for a couple days, run some carbon and filter floss.

• Like 1

When you say carpet do you mean a haddoni, gigantea, magnifica or do you mean a maxi-mini? Because if it's any of the first 3, you have an extremely small chance of it surviving so keep it out of your DT and don't feed it. Feeding a very recently damaged anemone is a very good way to kill it - all you can do is keep conditions stable, keep flow low, keep light low-medium, and keep your nutrients stable and well above zero.

If you have a skimmer in your display tank, you can consider dosing some of the skimmate since the dissolved organics in your QT tank are likely significantly lower than your DT.

What sized tank do you have, how old is it, and what equipment are you running on it? If you get another one - you really, really need to spend more time learning about establishing a bigger nem in your tank. A carpet isn't an anemone you just got out and buy on a whim...

If it's a maxi-mini, just toss it back in your DT and leave it alone for a year.

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not know if you can do any thing just yet. Can you post a picture of what it looks like now? Often feeding a damaged coral will help it recover but I wouldn't think you should do that right away. How long ago did it get damaged? Was the QT tank cycled or set up as an emergency tank? What is the set up of the QT tank, are you running a filter, what is in the tank, any live rock or bio media? With out more info I would let it be,, Gentle flow and maybe low to no lights for a couple days, run some carbon and filter floss.

The damage was 4 days ago, the QT tank is only a week old, with live rock, hang back filter with surface skimmer has filter floss and basic light. The anemone has been expelling small solid dark brown stuff - started with big lump not it’s small tiny bits. He has opened up but still had his mouth gaping open. Here’s a pic of him. 

image.jpg

If his mouth is gapping open I would not try to feed him. I think the best you can do is just observe. Did you search / google “How to care for a damaged Anemone” There has to be some others that posted what they did. I am on my phone and can not tell the actual damage. But I guess there is some hope if it is open. 

I hate to be the guy who recommends another site, but if you hop over to Reef Central and go the the Anemones and Clownfish forum, there’s a couple guys who hang out there who are the closest thing to anemone doctors you’ll ever get. There’s probably even an active thread or four discussing this exact thing