Pod Your Reef

Tank all my money

Jungle_vip

Most things in tank I’m really happy with the way things are going. Cyano on sand is almost nonexistent. It did spread onto rock below clove polyps but didn’t notice until after water change yesterday. About 2 inch x 1 inch. Nothing major. Bad news is the purple monsters melted away over the course of a couple weeks. Second coral lost. First was an orange Florida ricordia that was trying to hide from the current. Decided to take hold in crevice my emerald crab lives in. That didn’t last long. Nom nom for emerald crab.    Also lost a blue hermit last week. Almost wonder if my other one killed it. The living one bullied the smaller one all the time. Constantly had the smaller guy on his back trying to pull him out of the shell. 

2B4FC5FE-7CDF-4546-B8AD-ED49D50C804E.jpeg

8E3B6C2E-77B0-4591-B1E4-C098136A6974.jpeg

EFC038C6-CFB5-4D32-8D18-616E5D86D062.jpeg

17DC5A28-6B7D-432C-BF96-1C59A853EC3E.jpeg

C247B8AD-F03A-40F2-984F-7B0DEC595B4B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Changed up water change schedule. Last three have been done every other week. Previously 2 gallon WC every week. Cyano is almost  non existent. Green hair algae is heavily weakened and so short I can’t pull it. I also have not made any new additions. Don’t plan on adding anything else but CUC when needed and one more sps in top middle. 

68A37E44-DCE7-488D-AA56-A706583A098C.png

C5DA6C22-1352-4018-BCCE-4D1E5AC199EE.png

3F18B17F-C7CF-41FB-B0AD-A8D7CE666A4E.png

• 1 month later...
Jungle_vip

Tank coasting along. No cyano or GHA anymore. Did lose a astrea a week ago. Fell on its back and didn’t get it flipped over in time. RIP. Other than that things looking good.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Jungle_vip

Birdsnest has grown quite a bit. Def out pacing the everything else other than the clove polyps. Wish I never put them in there but a blood deal

was made with the wifey. No cloves. No tank. So we have cloves lol.

CA91E29E-BCB0-4657-A05D-E31D63D4B204.jpeg

586BD6D2-9D8B-44C1-A59C-3ADD69E1F679.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jungle_vip

Out of town this week. Fingers crossed nothing major happens. We all know if something happens it will be during this time lol. Luckily I have an awesome neighbor who is keeping an eye on it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Vacation away from the tank had its good and bad. The good is ato worked perfectly. The bad was the automatic feeder failed and my fish didn’t get fed for a week👎🏼. The filter had a clog of junk in it and didn’t  operate at full capacity. Had diatoms and some minor cyano. That didnt take long. Replaced carbon, sediment, and resin in my RO buddie this morning. Making all new fresh water and going to do a 50 percent water change tomorrow. If not more. Make a decision after water testing.

Beautiful tank. Amazing what that light can do.  I have the same one over my frag tank.  Paying $300 for a brand name light is overkill for nano tanks now.  Although I just dropped over $2k for radions for my 200g tank.  Hahaha.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Beautiful tank. Amazing what that light can do.  I have the same one over my frag tank.  Paying $300 for a brand name light is overkill for nano tanks now.  Although I just dropped over $2k for radions for my 200g tank.  Hahaha.  

Hahahha yeah I don’t blame you! I’d want to do the same thing! Our LFS has a gen3 used asking $250. Not sure what model but I’m going to find out today. We have debated picking it up to put on our little nano. I know it’s extreme but we can always transfer to another tank later on. Which will prob happen at some point. The hipargero can get the job done and it has served its purpose so far. It’s a great little light for the money. Sleek and light weight which is nice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jungle_v_i_p said:

Hahahha yeah I don’t blame you! I’d want to do the same thing! Our LFS has a gen3 used asking $250. Not sure what model but I’m going to find out today. We have debated picking it up to put on our little nano. I know it’s extreme but we can always transfer to another tank later on. Which will prob happen at some point. The hipargero can get the job done and it has served its purpose so far. It’s a great little light for the money. Sleek and light weight which is nice.

By the time you upgrade, new light will come out and you will want the latest again =P.  

Nass snails still going strong. Haven’t touched the sand bed in 3 months at least. The duo has  been doing their job.

Tank parameters last two weeks. things have been stable other than the mag. Wonder if I did a couple bad tests to start. After the first two at 1500 it was 1350-1375 on the Red Sea test. Alk has been dead on every day testing at 6pm. After WC bumps up to 8.3-8.5 then comes down to 7.9 next day. Calcium has been in the range within a drop every time. Kalk keeps it steady at 1 tsp per gallon as of now. Need to get some magnesium to dose. 

Alk: 7.9 

Ph: 8.1-8.2

Mag: 1500 dropped to 1350?

Cal: 450

E977B453-DD36-46A5-AC6E-F787863575E8.png

BE3D9674-F7AF-4B1E-BE25-9A7FE474031B.jpeg

Update:

purchased three astrea snails because for whatever reason I lost one astrea and both my banded trochus snails over the last couple months. 

I also got a free huge Mexican turbo snail shell that was coated in coralline algae’s and sponges. to my surprise after acclimation I noticed a tail sticking out of the shell. To my surprise there was a hidden hitchhiker inside. A royal gramma! Lol considered taking it back but going to keep it.

Sadly my Sps have some STN. Parameters look good and have been stable. I’m wondering if my issues during my vacation of the filter clogging, auto feeder failing, and some TDS in my top off water (due to late change of my carbon and sediment filter in RODI) is just now showing it’s face. I only noticed this morning when lights were off feeding a bit of reef roids. Could have started a week or two ago. Fingers crossed it turns around pretty quick.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Wow free fish with a snail! How big was this Mexican turbo?

It’s a big shell. 2 inches across prob. I still feel guilty like I stole it lol. 

Just now, Jungle_v_i_p said:

It’s a big shell. 2 inches across prob. I still feel guilty like I stole it lol. 

I’ll post a pic here in a few

• 2 weeks later...

Took some photos of the issues with my Sps I’ve been having. STN hasn’t gotten any worse on any of the corals. The birdsnest has almost fully recovered but still not 100 percent. FF digi looks like crap. Lost its green completely. The monti plate is no where near as green but at least the tissue loss has stopped. The red dragon hasnt gotten any worse or better. Looking at it the shaded areas are the problem so I think I’m going to do  couple diy puck leds and add them to the sides on goosenecks. The enchinata has browned out a bit and the tips are now more purple than blue under natural light. Hope none of them die. 🤞🏼Also threw in a pic of my ATO and the rats nest next door lol.

9CDB1120-639E-4D33-BE66-86E15E1A4E81.jpeg

0863768A-69D7-435C-9840-D6AFC411770B.jpeg

807D9DB7-55B3-4D55-ABCF-EAE439EB45CE.jpeg

BC2A3DD0-2E07-45F9-A967-E3B70801D22E.jpeg

D330D664-5A4F-4A85-984A-D6540E0C8C46.jpeg

5301CAA7-8F78-496E-A7E9-CAA9C867B92F.jpeg

170B640B-591F-40C3-9CC2-0C85266953E6.jpeg

221D1E04-EA71-449D-BAAB-C1F4BEA7FA1E.jpeg