SaltCritters.com

Tank all my money

Jungle_vip

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

The pictures and corals look great. Better than the crap I post. How about a FTS of just the tank, no stand or light in the picture just all tank.

I have that ATO and still haven't actually put it on the tank. I really should to keep the SG more stable. Maybe this weekend HaHa.

946AE496-DB4E-4B1E-9459-819FE64063D2.thumb.png.55546b5131b09520e5fb6f9ae372448a.pngHere she is! I tried to take a shot without me in it or my entire living room from glare. Couldn’t do it lol. I like that ATO for cost, safety, and function. Just not the way it looks. It’s ok for now but after the holidays I’m putting an electronic ATO on.

• 3 weeks later...

Photo overload!!! Still battling a bit of 

hair algae on the rocks and diatoms on the sand bed. Staying on top of water changes and manually removing when it allows. Corals looking pretty good today. Maybe in a couple

months all the hair algae will be gone. Haven’t  added anything other than a couple extra snails since Medusa (hair algae, meh) showed up. Almost two months now I guess.

5656655D-6CD7-4BDA-AF2A-0669938FE827.jpeg

9411BC3C-5D39-45C0-AC49-9B9C684146E5.jpeg

7AA5B3B1-18C9-423C-93EF-3F8F972D0916.png

• 2 weeks later...

Broke down and bought some new corals OO. Hit the five month mark and other than some gha and some diatom on the sand bed everything looks fairly good. Started dosing vibrant after doing some research to rid it since my cycle isn’t touching it. Although manual works ok with my water change it seems to spread every time I pull on it. Try my best to remove everything floating in the water column buuuuut I just seem to suck at it. See how it goes over the next 4-8 weeks. Since the green monti cap I added hasn’t lost color and encrusted onto the rock I decide to move forward with my original plan. Sps on top with zoas around the lower portion. I added an enchinata, red dragon acro, FF digi, and green birdsnest. If these make it and thrive (not just survive) I’ll add the GARF bonsai. The original coral that me into reefing 19 years ago. Also added a few different zoas. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

GHA just coasting. Hasn’t spread anymore and has stayed about the same height. I stopped dosing vibrant after three doses. 9 days after stoppage. My micro inhabitants took a hard hit which really put me in a mood. Lost my two cerith, brittlestars are reduced at least 50 percent prob more, pods are almost none existent, and collinista snails are also heavily cut back. Wish I had come across @seabass thread before dosing. I watched videos galore and read many reports of how awesome it is. After reading his thread it lead me to others with similar results. I realized, for myself, a mistake had been made. GHA is untouched and I now have  cyano across the entire sand bed. None on rocks or anywhere else oddly. I know many people stand by it and have had really good results with it. It’s just not for me.

Positives:

Fish, coral, and other inverts don’t seem bothered. Coral still growing. Even the Sps. Hawkins enchinata and red dragon acro have started producing a base over the glue. Birdsnest and FF digi are as well. Those two have had their polyps extended since 15 mins in the tank. Green monti cap is really starting to get moving. Encrusting over the glue and running up the rock beautifully. Zoas are all doing well. Rastas are up to 13 from 7. Fruit loops from 23 to 37. Orange oxide produced a second polyp. Even the newest addition of house of rising son zoas are up to 7 from 4 after three weeks ish. I’ll get some pics up soon. good and bad.

• Like 2

Took some pics last night prior to my water change this morning. Spent 30 mins just manually pulling out the GHA to get it as reduced as possible. Came off super easy this time. Wonder if the vibrant did have some effect on it. Either way I’m not dosing again.

3E77828B-0765-48AA-A041-1C798011A2D3.png

1DFE7F11-B3DC-4CCC-8653-A093CCF0ECBD.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

WC accomplished today. Was only able to pull a small amount of GHA but after last weeks successful harvest and the snails going ham on the remains there is only about half ass much. 

took a bunch of pics today right before WC couldn’t decide what to post so said whatever they are all going up lol. Scrambled eggs are up to 3 from 1. Enchinata growing a base and the red dragon. Already regretting the liams but when  the queen of the house demands something it just best to do it lol. Everything growing and looking healthy. Happy with where the tank is at this moment other than the small amount of cyano on sand. Coraline popping up on back wall. Things aware starting to shape up.

C7A4BB08-6D3F-4CB6-9235-FC69336144D2.png

D5ED566C-CD11-4EE5-BB97-8DC19BF8C75A.png

1F655DC9-96AF-4D84-9052-989B0AAF5DCE.png

Came home after a few hours out of the house. Oldest kid ran a floor heater in her room and popped the breaker which happens to be the same one as tank is on. She left house and didn’t even pay attention the light was off. I arrived home about 2-3 hours later. Temp dropped from 78 to 74. Fish were motionless laying on side. Thought they were dead. Ran to basement to flip breaker and darted back to tank. Used my hand to stir water and pointed power head directly at surface for more agitation. Female revived first. Make wasn’t looking so hot. About a 20 min ordeal. Wish I wasn’t freaking out and took video of the female was nudging  the male towards the surface. Never seen anything like it. He finally came around after about 15 mins. Very very scary. Momma bear and the youngest girl were crying. Dogs were upset because they were. Needless to say I’m ordering a power inverter tonight. Like right now.

8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That had to be scary! So glad in endedup OK.

It was! I’m a grown man and I almost lost it over a couple two inch fish lol. Glad they are ok as well. Their behavior is a bit different today. They usually stick to the right side but have been out front swimming hard in direct current most of day. Never do that. Corals seem fine but the rastas, purple monsters, and house of rising sun zoas look pale today. Def don’t have that pop as before. I’m sure they will be fine in a couple weeks and color back up eventually.

I did procrastinate on ordering salt so I’ll be doing WC late this week. Not sure if I may just skip this week to let things settle down and recover a bit. Salt arrives Tuesday so earliest I can do WC is Wednesday anyways. First time I’m off schedule so far. What are your thoughts on skipping until

next Sunday? My normal maintenance day.

The 8 week recruits have graduated from boot camp. Everyone looking good. Coral held and growing out.  Got some new recruits today. Few Red hornets, one radioactive dragon eye, and two pink zippers. That will be all the corals except for one more Sps I have a spot for as my center piece. 

22538C6B-DABA-4850-87C9-4E74C1A3F842.jpeg

7282026F-9AA3-4393-851F-9BE1F5D5189D.jpeg

DA1792D6-6529-4438-A1D5-C6D97EF74271.jpeg

EC0DF5C0-102B-4BFE-8BFA-7A9ACA7F2690.jpeg