Innovative Marine Aquariums

I want to breed and sell clownfish to some LFS in Canada

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

As you read I want to start breeding clownfish. Im rather young. I have done my research but am still wandering if I need a permit or license for anything. Wondering if anyone has bred fish in Canada and know any thing I should get.

I don't think you need a license for any sort of hobby breeding. If you were looking to become a business, that would be another thing.

You should look into how clownfish breeding works. It takes quite a bit of effort to grow all the food the babies need, as they need to start with very small live foods. They absolutely need their own tank, specially set up for baby clowns. If you're sure you can actually manage that, go for it! Though it might be a bit easier to start with Banggai cardinals first, they're mouth-brooders who have larger, easier-to-feed babies. A separate rearing tank is still good for baby cardinals, but if the cardinals are the only thing in the tank, raising them in the same tank is actually a possibility. Some people accidentally have one or two babies survive entirely on their own, which is nearly unheard of in saltwater aquarium fish. Unless you've got mollies you acclimated over.

Edit: I would make sure you have a LFS near you that will take a lot of baby clownfish, and ask them how big the clownfish would need to be for them to take said fish. Also, ask how much they think they might pay for tiny clownfish, it's probably not very much. Make sure you have a reasonable expectation of how much money this can actually make. I would not expect to turn a profit. 

• Like 2

Check out Marine Breeding USA on Facebook. It’s a group dedicated to answering the questions you posed.  I’m guessing while it says USA there might even be a few canucks in their ranks

• Like 1

I think the hardest thing will be selecting the right morph and genetics to create a morph that hasn't been produced yet. 

Once you do that,creating a morph that is sustainable in the trade and is profoundly unique will be able to withstand longevity of tank life without having deformities,diseases,shortened lifespans ect ect. 

Just my thinking. Its going to be expensive to say the least lol especially getting at least 2-3 pairs of almost all 80+ morphs to breed with lol. If you go with this,it will be interesting to see what you can do.  

I kinda think maybe OP doesn't plan on immediately getting into breeding every morph

OP, you would probably want to pick a breeding pair of a morph you like, and start with that. Preferably both of them should be from different sources, to help with genetic diversity. You could absolutely be a hobby breeder and just have one or two breeding pairs, you don't have to (and should not) start with loads of things. 

Clownfish king

I’m thinking of starting with Maine mochas they are one of my personal favourites and yes I do not plan on genetic morphing or anything like that until I can get the first things sorted out

• 1 month later...
Clownfish king

Hey update got my clown rn he is in a holding tank with his mate had this guy in a quarantine tank for a week not because diseases though. He is to small to put in the main aquarium without getting eaten by my goby so I put them in a 5 gallon holding tank for a month while he grows

152BC088-DAC6-4109-A8A1-2ADCDA5A9337.jpeg