Top Shelf Aquatics

What to do when sea cucumber dies

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone I have no idea what happened water is great and I've been feeding it zooplankton every day but I found it today in half deflated and when I touched it yellow particles came off so it died. Should I do anything in the tank because I've read that they can poison entire systems and particles of it went into the water as little yellow things so is the tank going to be ok nothing has happened yet

• Like 1

Big water change, activated carbon in your filter, closely watch everything for stress. Probably you're OK since you removed it.

Filter-feeding cucumbers need to eat almost constantly. One feeding a day isn't enough. Otherwise, loads of people would have them. They're just not good tank inhabitants.

RoyalGramma001

Ok I will do a water change I don't have a carbon Doser I have a hang on back filter how quickly would the toxin go out. I also can't get the other half of the sea cucumber out since every time I touch it little particles of it come out what should I do

Not a carbon doser. A mesh bag of activated charcoal in your filter so the water goes through it. You should always have activated charcoal available, so you can put some in your filter to absorb toxins if things like this happen. 

Use a siphon or turkey baster to suck the cucumber out while doing your water change. Do several large water changes. That should help get rid of the toxin. 

If nothing in your tank looks like it's sick right now, you're probably OK after the water changes, but the carbon would be really good. 

Probably enough water changes to at least fully replace the original water, especially if you had to leave the cucumber in there.

If you can reliably match salinity and temperature of the new water to the water in the tank, I'd do at least a 50% change. 

2 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone I have no idea what happened water is great and I've been feeding it zooplankton every day but I found it today in half deflated and when I touched it yellow particles came off so it died. Should I do anything in the tank because I've read that they can poison entire systems and particles of it went into the water as little yellow things so is the tank going to be ok nothing has happened yet

how does the tank look?

i had one die and i never even knew..... so i wouldn't get too crazy unless you see a reaction in the tank.

RoyalGramma001
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

how does the tank look?

i had one die and i never even knew..... so i wouldn't get too crazy unless you see a reaction in the tank.

Looks good nothing is acting abnormal 

• Like 1