Pod Your Reef

FISH IDEAS

Leo_ian

I'm planning to do a saltwater paludarium. The tank is about 20gallons. I'll be using a canister filter. Its going to have fiddler crabs in it. I am looking for fish that can live in a small nano or even a pico and live near beaches. Are pacific blue eyes good? Any gobies or blennies that I should consider?

I just got a neon blue gobie, I wonder if they would do good in something like that.  I bet you could get a few in a 20 gal.  He is cute and active. Sometimes he just perches somewhere, and sometimes he is swimming all over the place.  I wish I had more then 1.  

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

How much water do you plan on having in the tank?

about 7-10 gallons

14 hours ago, sadie said:

I just got a neon blue gobie, I wonder if they would do good in something like that.  I bet you could get a few in a 20 gal.  He is cute and active. Sometimes he just perches somewhere, and sometimes he is swimming all over the place.  I wish I had more then 1.  

Haha i have a breeding pair, but they are very expensive in my country $60 per fish.

6 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

about 7-10 gallons

Haha i have a breeding pair, but they are very expensive in my country $60 per fish.

wow! that is expensive for a neon goby.  I just found out they are aggressive to their own kind unless they are paired.  So I guess I'm sticking with just the 1. I still think they would look good in that tank (with 10 gal of water).  

What fish have you looked into? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Aren't fiddler crabs brackish water? 

Is this tank going to be brackish?

That would definitely be good to know otherwise we might offer suggestions that won't work.

If the tank is brackish, look into brackish-water fish and how people do mangrove setups. Fiddler crab don't live on pretty sand beaches like how people imagine the shoreline, they mostly live among mangroves. You would probably find blennies and gobies there, and they're likely not going to be very pretty colors, since they'd live in mud.

If you could manage a decent amount of space for them, mollies can be acclimated to any reasonable salinity. I've personally seen fiddler crabs in sailfin molly habitat. They should have a tank longer than a 10gal is, so if you split up the 20gal in a way that provides plenty of length space, instead of just making half its length sand like some paludariums, sailfins should be OK. Make sure there are solid surfaces for them to pick algae off of. They probably won't go after your crabs. 

ooh ok. I have seen people keep fiddlers in reef tanks before so it was just a consideration. are sally lightfoots a good option too? 

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I've personally seen blennies in shallow areas while snorkeling. About 10ft from the shore amongst rockwork.

Will you be having liverock in this tank?

havent decided whether i want live rock or not. Maybe one or two pieces I want as much water vol as i can have.

Fiddlers don't actually do well in fully aquatic setups. They need a paludarium setup. I would look into whether any are full saltwater, I don't know.

Sally lightfoots are a potential threat to fish. They venture out of the water now and then, but not much, so a paludarium's land space would be largely wasted on them. Better to just have a saltwater tank with one of those magnet rock shelf things as an island, if you could find a way for them to get up to it. Crabs can't climb glass. 

You should have live rock. It can actually be more important to your tank than straight-up water volume in terms of stability, because of all the bacteria it can host. You'll also need to figure out water movement, which is tricky in paludariums. Stagnant water doesn't work terribly well for most aquatic life. 

Sallies should probably be off the list, yeah.

You should really look up what kind of fiddler crab you can get, as in what species, and then find out what salinity they need. If you can't get a kind that likes full saltwater, you'd need to adjust things accordingly into a brackish tank.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...