Coral Vue Hydros

2 Yellow Watchman 2 Pistol Shrimp?

Zionas

Hi all as some of you might know I want a pair of Yellow Watchman Gobies for my tank (not a nano). However, as for the pairing with the Pistol Shrimp (A. Bellulus) will I also need a pair of Tiger Pistols or will two gobies the male and female both share the same Pistol Shrimp? 

If a pair of Pistol Shrimp is better will they dig a borrow for both of them and the Goby pair, and all 4 sharing a burrow?

Would love to hear your experiences.

Gobies are hermaphrodites right? Like Clownfish I just get two smaller YWGs and they’ll sort it out and become a pair?

Gobies are sequential hermaphrodites. That means that they only have one type of gonads at a time, but can change to the other kind. A true hermaphrodite is something like some snails, that can produce either eggs or sperm at the same time. You should try to find two that are different colors, as the color can be an indication of sex, but one should change to fit things.

A pair of pistol shrimp isn't needed, or necessarily better, but it would be cool. If you only have one pistol shrimp, the goby pair will share the burrow made by the one shrimp. Getting a pair of pistol shrimp is difficult, you need to find a pair that are already matched up. But if you get a mated pair, it'll work fine. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Tired said:

Gobies are sequential hermaphrodites. That means that they only have one type of gonads at a time, but can change to the other kind. A true hermaphrodite is something like some snails, that can produce either eggs or sperm at the same time. You should try to find two that are different colors, as the color can be an indication of sex, but one should change to fit things.

A pair of pistol shrimp isn't needed, or necessarily better, but it would be cool. If you only have one pistol shrimp, the goby pair will share the burrow made by the one shrimp. Getting a pair of pistol shrimp is difficult, you need to find a pair that are already matched up. But if you get a mated pair, it'll work fine. 

Thank you. Think I’ll just have one shrimp.