ReefCleaners.org

Confused and frustrated

Hazy

So many of y’all probably remember my yellow clown goby that I was struggling to feed. Well he started eating fine and I finally put him in the display tank about 4 days ago. Since then he was happily eating and cruising around. Then just in the last 2 days my female clownfish started chasing him around never giving him a break. He found a nice little cave get away and was happy again, until this morning when for some reason during the night the cave got filled with sand. After that I have no idea what happened. He was happy this morning but just a few hours ago I found the hermit crabs eating him. He was perfectly healthy!!! I’m so confused. 

• Sad 3

Is there any chance you have a mantis shrimp or a very large pistol shrimp in the tank? Both could burrow, filling the cave with sand, and both potentially harm fish. It's also possible the clownfish killed him, but that's a bit odd- clown gobies taste bad and are usually nip-proof. 

No chance of pistol or mantis shrimp... all my rock was dry rock that I cycled myself. 
it seems the clown fish must not have found out that he tasted bad until the deed was already done...🙁

I had something similar happen to me.  I had a clown and YCG in my quarantine tank for a month.  It took a while for the goby to eat, I was nervous he wasn't going to make it.  But he did great.  I added them both to my main tank and not long after he just died.  My clown didn't bother him or anything.  It was sad.

Sorry for loss.

15 hours ago, Hazy said:

On a side note... does anyone know what coral this is?? 

755B702B-78A3-4EB1-8407-1952932063B8.jpeg

Sounds like the clown probably stressed it out. Clownfish can be territorial and are labeled as semi-aggressive. 

That coral looks to be non-photosynthetic, they require a specialized set-up, impossible for most to keep alive. 

Yeah, that's a really, really pretty coral. I bet you couldn't find anyone keeping it in their tank, though. When a really pretty coral isn't kept by anyone, there's a reason, and it's usually that coral being impossible to keep.

• Like 1

Yeah I figured. Oh well even if someone did  know what it was it’s probably WAY out of my budget.

im sorry to here about your YCG 😕 it really sucks when you put so much into ‘em and they just kick the bucket. Anyway thanks for y’alls help