ReefCleaners.org

SEAGRASS ...... We Have Natural SeaGrass!

SeaGrass Cullen

SeaGrass Cullen

Guys - Just wanted to introduce our company Aquaticus Plants. We own Florida's oldest aquatic plant nursery and are growing seagrass at our certified Aquatic Facility. Obtaining seagrass for commercial distribution may have been a difficult task for many aquarium stores in the past. Aquaticus Plants is your new seagrass source for hobbyist on the cutting edge. We grow fresh and saltwater seagrass. If you would like more information please visit our website www.aquaticusplants.com or ask here. Thanks - Cullen

AQUATICUS (2).jpeg

AQUATICUS (3).jpg

AQUATICUS NURSERY.jpeg

Syringodium Filiforme.png

Thalassia Testudinum.png

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
MainelyReefer

@SeaGrass Cullen  Planning a new lagoon build and would like an open section with some sea grass for my mandarin to hunt.  The tank is actually a 50g frag tank so only 10” tall(8.75” actual water depth.  Is the turtle grass on your site the shortest option? What substrate do you recommend I look into?  Will it be in stock in a month or a little longer?  Thanks 

4 hours ago, Bella Smith said:

Nice! Do you have plants that help to reduce nitrates?

Seagrass will uptake nutrients.  Most likely, you'll have to dose nitrate and phosphate, and potentially even trace elements.  It'd be nice if the original poster would provide tips and care guides on how to maintain seagrass in a marine aquarium.

4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Planning a new lagoon build and would like an open section with some sea grass for my mandarin to hunt.  The tank is actually a 50g frag tank so only 10” tall(8.75” actual water depth.  Is the turtle grass on your site the shortest option? What substrate do you recommend I look into?

As Tamberav mentioned, star grass is one of the few varieties which are small enough for our tanks.  Macroalgae, like Caulerpa prolifera, may be easier to care for, while not requiring a deep sand bed (which reduces the available height of the tank, and where the deep substrate can be harder to maintain over the long-term).

• Like 5
SeaGrass Cullen

All seagrasses need a min of 3-5” of sediment. We can collect and send grass that would work in that water depth if you have the sediment thickness. Also, our grasses are always in stock.

• Like 1

@SeaGrass Cullen, do you have any guides for keeping seagrass?  Like should you dose iron, iodide, or anything besides nitrate and phosphate?  What kind of substrate works best (fine sand, course sand, crushed coral, mud)?  As the plants/roots decay in the substrate, do you let them decay or do you try to remove them?  Is it best not to disturb the sand bed, or to keep it aerated/stirred?

• Like 4

Duckweed is a freshwater plant. It will definitely suck up a lot of nutrients, but only if you put it in a freshwater tank. I tried it in saltwater once! It lasts longer than you'd think, but dies eventually. 

ALL plants and algaes will absorb some amount of nutrients. Just like how all animals eat. They need it to live and grow. But corals need those nutrients, too, and too much competition will starve them out.

• Like 2
SeaGrass Cullen

🚨 Aquaticus Plants Will Be Running A SALE This Weekend!! 25% OFF Thalassia (Turtle Grass) Bare Root. Please Enter Promo Code TGBR2020 To Receive This Amazing Discount. #aquatics #aquaticplants #seagrass #restoresav #savetheplanet #savetheocean #savetheturtles #savethemanatees #aquatic #fishtank #tropicalfish #aquascaping #natureaquarium #aquarium #aquariumlife #aquariumfish #fishhobby #fishhobbyist #plantedtanks #aquariumfun #aquaticlife

IMG_6567.jpg

SeaGrass Cullen
On 10/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, seabass said:

@SeaGrass Cullen, do you have any guides for keeping seagrass?  Like should you dose iron, iodide, or anything besides nitrate and phosphate?  What kind of substrate works best (fine sand, course sand, crushed coral, mud)?  As the plants/roots decay in the substrate, do you let them decay or do you try to remove them?  Is it best not to disturb the sand bed, or to keep it aerated/stirred?

Sand works best, as plants decay remove them, last, it's best not to disturb the sand.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I believe that seagrass also benefits from C02, unlike macro algae. from what I've read, they like a really mature semi deep sand bed, some likes a more silty sandy substrate, some like mud. They also may like dosing nutrients and a really good flow as hair algae can form as an epiphytic species that blocks light.

I think without some sort of guide or seeing examples of the various grasses in tanks it's hard to visualize or even ensure that there is proper care given so the grass flourishes. 

I'm with Seabass that Caulerpa Prolifera, where legal(?), is a really nice looking blade grass style macro.  It usually does best in sand.  Needs pretty frequent trimming and it's amazing how much nutrients it sucks out of the water. Also when disposing of clippings the recommendation is freezing for 24 hours then placing in the trash.  Never down the sink or in storm drains as it's really invasive. 

• Like 1