Pod Your Reef

Current USA lighting for 10 gallon

Mystichrome

I have 2 current marine orbit 18-24" model lights. I was initially planning on just using one, but would running two of them on a regular sized 10 gallon be too much? I plan on having soft and LPS corals. The bracket I have can hold two lights so I figured why not use both if it would be beneficial.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Mystichrome said:

I have 2 current marine orbit 18-24" model lights. I was initially planning on just using one, but would running two of them on a regular sized 10 gallon be too much? I plan on having soft and LPS corals. The bracket I have can hold two lights so I figured why not use both if it would be beneficial.

Which model?  I have the Current USA IC Pro and it comes as a set of two lights.

I use them on my 12gallon long. 

I have the same light- the single version, on a 10 gallon tank. I have been usng them for about 3 years, no problems (they do get salt creep inside the housing eventually and you will need to replace them after about 1-2 years). I only keep mushrooms, zoas, and softies in there, I think it's too small for LPS- but I have had explosive growth with those lights. A little bit of a paint o program, but they are good for the money. One is probably enough, two would be overkill. More is not always better.

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog

You can run them more blue and less white and still get plenty of PAR if you use two of them. I've found that one will even grow SPS (if placed up high) but in order to get much PAR you have to have the whites up fairly high. So if you prefer a blue look then use both lights and lower the whites and it'll still be bright enough to grow anything in such a shallow tank.

Okay thanks everyone. I think I’ll try and see how things go with one light for now and see how it works. I have the bracket that can fit both but I’ll have to mount it to the wall since it doesn’t fit the rim of the tank properly. 

right now the light is on the glass lid, is that ok? Does keeping it on the lid make it a bit better than mounting? I can’t not have a lid for now because of my nosy kitten who’s already jumped in once. 

49B044C7-C741-40CE-8550-FD94AB092445.jpeg