Pod Your Reef

Proper diet for tangs

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

within research i found that tangs need some vegetable matter within their died. As I do want to eventually have some in my tank, what would be a good veggie food to start looking for/getting to help the tangs with their natural diet?

NoOneLikesADryTang

I only have one small tang in our 80 gallon, but I feed dried nori/seafood two or three times per week. Put it on a clip, that’s suctioned cup inside the tank. 

All of the fish in the tank get fed various frozen food, and tdo pellets most days. 

Reefer-begginer
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Dried nori with a few drops of selcon is easiest. If you have a refugium then you can try and grow ulva and gracilaria to suppliment fresh seaweeds.

Is selcon that good?

Reefer-begginer
10 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

id say a dried nori at least 8hrs a day, mysis or pellets once a day

I typically feed my fish this diet.

1x angel/butterfly mix ( i do have angels/butterfly)

1x mysis/krill ( alt every day )

2x seaweed delight ( for the foxface i have )

Once a week

Marine cuisine ( 2x )

15 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Is selcon that good?

It has fatty acid/omega 3 which is important for fish. In the wild, fish eat fish... which is full of oils. Some people just buy fish oil (the kind we take). 

Newer pellets like Chromaboost have fish oil in it which is why they need to be refrigerated after opening. 

It can be messy on nori so I just let a few drops soak in on top but not dunk the entire piece as it will start to fall apart quickly if you use too much. Pellets or such could also be soaked in a few drops for a boost of nutrition.