Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tanks

Tigahboy

5 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

@Tigahboy if you don't mind me asking, I was thinking of doing some adding some macro to my tank, is there a reason most macro tanks I see only have gorgonians and mushrooms or Zola's or is it just personal taste? I have a starting mixed reef with sps, lps, and soft corals. Also do you have to dose anything in your tank? Also would snails and emerald crabs become a problem?

Mainly because they have kind of the same are as macros, they like "dirtier" tanks just like how macro do. The light requirements also are a bit off putting for LPS or SPS as most of the time people keep those for the colors and macros like more white which can alter coral colors.

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
9 hours ago, Frozen_Reef said:

Mainly because they have kind of the same are as macros, they like "dirtier" tanks just like how macro do. The light requirements also are a bit off putting for LPS or SPS as most of the time people keep those for the colors and macros like more white which can alter coral colors.

Oh that makes sense. I'm assuming my turbo snails and emerald crab would be a problem

18 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

@Tigahboy if you don't mind me asking, I was thinking of doing some adding some macro to my tank, is there a reason most macro tanks I see only have gorgonians and mushrooms or Zola's or is it just personal taste? I have a starting mixed reef with sps, lps, and soft corals. Also do you have to dose anything in your tank? Also would snails and emerald crabs become a problem?

I can’t speak for others, but I think gorgs make a good pairing with macro and probably used to similar spectrum lighting to a lot of macroalgae that are found closer to surface of the water. Having said that I think you can keep macro with anything but just have to understand the potential risk that some could go sexual and cause a nutrient spike which some corals (like sps) may not tolerate as well. I think emerald crabs would definitely munch on the macro but snails should leave it alone for the most part. I dose ChaetoGro (fertilizer), Ferrion (ferrous iron), NeoNitro (nitrates), and NeoPhos (phosphates), as well as alk and calc like a normal reef. 

14 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow it looks really nice grown in. I like the way it goes right to the top of the water. 

Do you have any blue plating sponge in there? Not sure what it looks like under white lighting, is that what the tan piece is below the feather duster? 

That’s a blue scroll macroalgae that really only looks blue from top down. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Oh that makes sense. I'm assuming my turbo snails and emerald crab would be a problem

I guess I’d be wary of turbo snails (as well as emeralds) since they eat everything.

RoyalGramma001
18 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I guess I’d be wary of turbo snails (as well as emeralds) since they eat everything.

I suppose I could see how it goes with some cheaper types and go from there

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

or is it just personal taste?

Probably this

In the 90s

It was common to grow macro algae in the display tank.  Caulerpa was the predominant algae

We didn't have a lot of acro reefers back then though.  I remember that even goniapora were considered difficult

I'm going to add a bunch of gorgonians and macros to my zoa tank.  Not really planning to on the acro SPS tank

Oh, and gorgonians like a 'dirtier' tank like zoas do.  And acros don't

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Merry Christmas, Nano Reefers!

YAAAAAAYYYY THE IG SHARING THING IS WORKING AGAIN!!!!!!!

And Merry Christmas 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't want to bother with creating another thread (may change the title of this thread to a general macroalgae tank thread), but wanted to share another macroalgae project I've been working on - this UNS 5N (4.6g).

DSC03729.thumb.jpg.247ad3fb9903ac63f49cb94fa0e77e75.jpg

Added white vinyl film to the back and used the backlight I had on my contest volcano pico.

DSC04352.thumb.jpg.eefc25162aab3a05691a7f1b6ad75e6d.jpg

Ordered more live rock from KPA for this one as well.

DSC04541-2.thumb.jpg.d6a689645068c7d8fc9516e668568653.jpg

And just added a clump of graciliaria I had lying around.

DSC04646.thumb.jpg.a288ab89883ab3a8fee8d4d870203dd9.jpg

• Like 3

What is your daily or weekly consumption rates on the bigger tank?  Or, how much are you dosing for ChaetoGro (fertilizer), Ferrion (ferrous iron), NeoNitro (nitrates), and NeoPhos (phosphates), as well as alk and calc?  I adore your tank and would like to replicate it, but I fear it'd be just as difficult - if not more so, than a SPS tank. 

What powerhead are you using on the UNS 5N (4.6g)?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

What is your daily or weekly consumption rates on the bigger tank?  Or, how much are you dosing for ChaetoGro (fertilizer), Ferrion (ferrous iron), NeoNitro (nitrates), and NeoPhos (phosphates), as well as alk and calc?  I adore your tank and would like to replicate it, but I fear it'd be just as difficult - if not more so, than a SPS tank. 

What powerhead are you using on the UNS 5N (4.6g)?

You should give it a try! Here's my current dosing:

ChaetoGro - 1ml/day

NeoNitro - 1.5ml/day

NeoPhos - 1.5ml/day

ATI Essentials Pro Calc - 1ml/day

ATI Essentials Pro Alk - 1.5ml/day

I'm taking a break on Ferrion.  I was dosing just 1ml/week previously, but when I tested for Iron it was pretty high. ChaetoGro has iron in it so I suspect that may be all you need.

But I think you really need to test and fine-tune your dosing just as you would for a coral tank. Although I don't test really for the trace elements in ChaetoGro (other than iron now) and just follow the directions to start then adjust up if it looks like the macros need it. And if you are feeding your tank a bit and still have detectable nitrates and phosphates (and see decent growth) you probably don't even need to dose that. 

For the UNS 5N, I'm using a Hygger mini wavemaker that I got on Amazon. Not much controlability, but a good value for what you pay and it's super compact.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had some losses in this tank over the past few weeks: waspfish passed and I think blenny jumped when I forgot to put the lid on one night. Also had a little hair algae outbreak that I neglected so had to pull out a ton of macroalgae. Tough few weeks. But I’ve been getting hair algae under control and tank is back on track (and won’t be adding anymore fish in here). A few shots from last night. 
DE2A8DAE-4E25-4300-8655-56A60A3F4661.thumb.jpeg.7197b496a309cee07d38ffd74580a8cc.jpeg

D82547B2-A971-4D71-9126-4CC7A4EFA9C6.thumb.jpeg.bc290c660190105b07354fbf12b4d64c.jpeg

07A0C02A-3A94-4882-896E-715A8AF2C062.thumb.jpeg.dbd4b51e11cd8942faf7ae8bc692dba2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Also in more exciting news, I was the featured guest on this week’s Reef News Network podcast! Check it out (click photo below or download it wherever you get your podcasts)!

63E243F3-BE47-4599-8B69-BC6582AFC13F.thumb.jpeg.a204f4a654dcd2588d5a4307f5437cb4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1