Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My First Zoa !!!!

Charith1986

Hi there. After having two tanks over last year and now I have introduced one frag of Zoa to my tank ystd (tank is over two weeks old). It has three flowers and they looks fine.

I tested for Ammonia in the morning and it was zero and nitrate around 10 PPM when I checked on Tuesday.

And what I want to know is Will this frag multiply (grow more) ? Do i need to feed this frag ? my LFS told me as only one frag is there not need to feed and it will take the requirements from light and tank nutritions. Cs he told if I start feeding this it will pollute the water (9 gallon).

I am really excited to see it growing.

Your LFS was correct, it should get what it needs from the light (photosynthesis) and the nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) in the water.  It might also take in some dissolved organic matter, but don't worry about providing that.

Yes, it will eventually grow more polyps.  But that can sometimes take awhile, so be patient.

• Like 1

An alkalinity test kit would eventually be needed if you keep stony corals (LPS and/or SPS), or if your tank develops much coralline algae.  However, it shouldn't be necessary just yet.

In my opinion, a chiller isn't necessary unless the temperature frequently exceeds 84 degrees.  I've never had the need for one.  However, some all in one tanks do have trouble keeping temperatures low enough.  High room temperatures are another reason for needing a chiller.

Also note that a fan can often cool a tank enough, making a more expensive chiller unnecessary.

• Like 1

Yes, the same told by LFS to go for a fan. I will check the water temprature and see. Here in Colombo its rainy season now so i hope tank is not over 84 degrees.

I am very new to corals so should read more on Zoas. I want to know whether i can keep few more frags of zoas in my tank (9 gallon) ? will it pollute my water (ammonia) ? or when the colony is big what will they required ? 

4 hours ago, Charith1986 said:

I want to know whether i can keep few more frags of zoas in my tank (9 gallon) ? will it pollute my water (ammonia) ?

Sure, you can load up on zoanthids.  They don't hardly add anything to the bio-load.  Think about it this way, if you have to feed it, it adds to the bio-load.

4 hours ago, Charith1986 said:

or when the colony is big what will they required ?

Same as what's needed now - reef lighting and nutrients.

• Like 2