coral reefer tx

Air pump recommendation for 2 gallon pico reef jar?

coral reefer tx

Getting back into the hobby and will be doing a 2 gallon pico jar.  (I just ordered the ReefSmart light/lid).  
Looking for a quiet and adjustable air pump for circulation.  
Any specific model recommendations?  Don’t need a lot of airflow, so adjustability is key.  
Any pico air pump info would help.  

Also posted in equipment forum.  

Thanks.  

DSA65PRO

I don’t think there are any smaller air pumps that are adjustable, and all the adjustable ones have two outlet ports. Best to buy a Lee’s assortment of “T’s” and Bleed off Valves. BTW I’ve had stuff fall apart on the cheaper air pumps, so I now open them up, and put a tiny drop of Super Glue on the outlet pipe, where it attaches to the pump chamber, on the diaphragm nut and where the rubber isolators attach to the pumps body.  

• Like 1

Christopher Marks
47 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

Best to buy a Lee’s assortment of “T’s” and Bleed off Valves.

Yup, this is key. You'll want to adjust the airflow from your pump by using the airline itself to dump excess air pressure, rather than adjusting the output of the pump itself. A 'T-shaped' fitting exists for this purpose, it has a threaded release valve on it that you can adjust. I do this with my pico jar!

Great advice on beefing up the internals of an air pump with super glue too. Most pumps are cheaply made and very basic in design, generally they fail when one of the plastic mounting points breaks off inside, from the vibration of the air diaphragm. I had to repair one of my pumps after about a year of use.

@coral reefer tx If I were buying an air pump today, I would probably just buy a basic small Tetra air pump. I have mine hidden in a cabinet beneath my pico jar, so the pump size doesn't matter in my situation, and the Tetra is cheap and easily found at a LFS. Honestly, any cheap small air pump at your LFS will do, they just aren't very sophisticated at this size and price point.

Christopher Marks

Yup, that would work great. Mine is super cheap plastic, but that metal one a nice option. Don't forget a check valve too, so it doesn't siphon water out of the tank during a power outage.

• Like 1

DSA65PRO

Was talking about these, Metal ones are okay, as long as you can keep the salt away. 

C4B14C3E-7504-44E2-B824-FFA685697141.jpeg

• Like 1