ReefCleaners.org

Too much live rock

Brock9999

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Brock9999!

Is it possible to remove the rock that makes up the highest point on the left? Is that round portion a separate rock? While it does provide a nice balanced look, it's likely too high up in your tank for mounting any coral, they won't have much room left to grow upwards.

36 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Brock9999!

Is it possible to remove the rock that makes up the highest point on the left? Is that round portion a separate rock? While it does provide a nice balanced look, it's likely too high up in your tank for mounting any coral, they won't have much room left to grow upwards.

No I can’t remove it it’s all glued and epoxied up any way I can make the best of it 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Grimes said:

No issue then from what I can see

Do you think that top rock on the left is to high to grow coral if not what coral do you think would do well up there

image.jpg

You could put corals around the sides of it, and leave the top bare for algae to grow on. Would look neat. If you could find a very light-tolerant encrusting SPS, that's another option, or a very light-tolerant zoanthid or palythoas. Something short, in other words. I'd say mushroom corals, but I think if you put mushroom corals that close to the light, they'd just fly out of the tank in protest. Not even the usual shrinking up thing they do when you put them in too much light- they'd learn to fly just to escape. 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks really nice to me, I think you’ll be able to find some “shorter” corals to put on top. Will partly depend on how strong your light is and what you like. 

Looks like you may have some spots that are quite close to the glass... those areas can make it difficult to scrape off film algae, but there are some scrapers available that can get into pretty tight spots if needed, like the two little fishies nano mag, which I use in 2 of my tanks for that purpose. 

20 minutes ago, Tired said:

You could put corals around the sides of it, and leave the top bare for algae to grow on. Would look neat. If you could find a very light-tolerant encrusting SPS, that's another option, or a very light-tolerant zoanthid or palythoas. Something short, in other words. I'd say mushroom corals, but I think if you put mushroom corals that close to the light, they'd just fly out of the tank in protest. Not even the usual shrinking up thing they do when you put them in too much light- they'd learn to fly just to escape. 

It’s about 3inches from the water surface at the top of the rock and 5 on the lowest side do you think some green star polyps will do good there

• Like 1

Sure, you could do all kinds of things up there. There are lots of corals grow less than 3 inches tall! You would want to choose higher light corals. You may not want to do GSP on your main scape though because it can potentially spread to cover the whole thing. 

26 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks really nice to me, I think you’ll be able to find some “shorter” corals to put on top. Will partly depend on how strong your light is and what you like. 

Looks like you may have some spots that are quite close to the glass... those areas can make it difficult to scrape off film algae, but there are some scrapers available that can get into pretty tight spots if needed, like the two little fishies nano mag, which I use in 2 of my tanks for that purpose. 

I have a aquaknight 30w light and the rock is 3-5 inches below the water so I’m concerned I guess I will just have to find the right polyp or zoa to withstand my light if there are any more suggestions for coral to put at the top 

28 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Sure, you could do all kinds of things up there. There are lots of corals grow less than 3 inches tall! You would want to choose higher light corals. You may not want to do GSP on your main scape though because it can potentially spread to cover the whole thing. 

What do you mean GSP

Bubble tip anemones get huge. Expect one at least a foot across, if not more, that will split into two when it gets large enough. They're too big for a 10 gallon, period, unless you want a tank with literally nothing but the anemones- and possibly too big even then. That's not even considering the bioload.

An adult bubble tip wouldn't fit in that depth up there, and would walk down off the rock to get to a better spot. You should probably not put a bubble tip in that tank, period, but definitely not up there. It would also look pretty silly, even if it did fit up there and stay up there. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Brock9999 said:

Any polyp that aren’t so invasive

I’m not sure how strong that particular light is, but a few options you could consider trying there, depending on the strength of the lighting: encrusting SPS corals, possibly a plating coral like a monti cap, rock flower anemone, clove polyps, knopia, zoas (read up on palytoxin before adding zoas or palys though... I usually suggest holding off on zoas until you have more reefing experience). 

One problem I’m noticing though as I’m trying to envision your reef is that the high rock appears to be really shading the rock beneath it... to me that could be an even bigger issue than the height of the rock, because you will possibly be really limited on what you put on the lower rock.

You can look from the top down to see how the light hits it. Not impossible though... I’m a fan of making it work and letting your tank and scape guide you. I didn’t really know what I was doing with my first scape and ended up with tons of shade, but that led me to do non-photosynthetic corals which I ended up really liking, so it all worked out. There are lower light corals, and also you could add another small rock (or a coral that comes on a rock) if need be. 

• Like 2