Jump to content
dmitriy loos

leather coral polyps turning from white to brown

Recommended Posts

dmitriy loos

so for the past couple weeks the polyps on my leather toadstool have been turning brown - when originally it was 100% white. looks like it has also shrunken a bit and i’m starting to get concerned. doesn’t smell odd, still standing up straight etc. i haven’t added or removed anything but i did a water change about a week back and still no improvements. polyps are opening up still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Could be algae gathering on it.

 

They shrink up to shed and grow.

 

What is the lighting and flow conditions?

 

Nitrate and phosphate levels.

 

Adding a before and after picture can be helpful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
dmitriy loos
On 9/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, Clown79 said:

Could be algae gathering on it.

 

They shrink up to shed and grow.

 

What is the lighting and flow conditions?

 

Nitrate and phosphate levels.

 

Adding a before and after picture can be helpful

i don’t have a before picture, but i can show you an after picture. it seems to only shrink when the light is off and as of now it looks the exact same as it did prior, except with brown on it. im not pretty new to the hobby so i’m not 100% on lightning and flow but it is somewhat in the middle of the tank and it has not had any problems until recently. thinking it might be the flow honestly because it happened sometime around the rearrangement of my rocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
2 hours ago, dmitriy loos said:

i don’t have a before picture, but i can show you an after picture. it seems to only shrink when the light is off and as of now it looks the exact same as it did prior, except with brown on it. im not pretty new to the hobby so i’m not 100% on lightning and flow but it is somewhat in the middle of the tank and it has not had any problems until recently. thinking it might be the flow honestly because it happened sometime around the rearrangement of my rocks. 

All leathers shrink at night.

 

They do enjoy a decent flow otherwise detritus and algae build on them which eventually causes them to shrink up more and stayed closed to shed.

Share this post


Link to post
dmitriy loos
17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

All leathers shrink at night.

 

They do enjoy a decent flow otherwise detritus and algae build on them which eventually causes them to shrink up more and stayed closed to shed.

suggestions for what to do? i have a 30g all in one tank so i cant really mess with the flow. 

Share this post


Link to post
dmitriy loos
Just now, dmitriy loos said:

suggestions for what to do? i have a 30g all in one tank so i cant really mess with the flow. 

also it was a hitchiker coral and the first one i got and this problem happened just recently so not sure what changed. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...