SaltCritters.com

leather coral polyps turning from white to brown

dmitriy loos

so for the past couple weeks the polyps on my leather toadstool have been turning brown - when originally it was 100% white. looks like it has also shrunken a bit and i’m starting to get concerned. doesn’t smell odd, still standing up straight etc. i haven’t added or removed anything but i did a water change about a week back and still no improvements. polyps are opening up still. 

Could be algae gathering on it.

They shrink up to shed and grow.

What is the lighting and flow conditions?

Nitrate and phosphate levels.

Adding a before and after picture can be helpful

• Like 1
On 9/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, Clown79 said:

Could be algae gathering on it.

They shrink up to shed and grow.

What is the lighting and flow conditions?

Nitrate and phosphate levels.

Adding a before and after picture can be helpful

i don’t have a before picture, but i can show you an after picture. it seems to only shrink when the light is off and as of now it looks the exact same as it did prior, except with brown on it. im not pretty new to the hobby so i’m not 100% on lightning and flow but it is somewhat in the middle of the tank and it has not had any problems until recently. thinking it might be the flow honestly because it happened sometime around the rearrangement of my rocks. 

2 hours ago, dmitriy loos said:

i don’t have a before picture, but i can show you an after picture. it seems to only shrink when the light is off and as of now it looks the exact same as it did prior, except with brown on it. im not pretty new to the hobby so i’m not 100% on lightning and flow but it is somewhat in the middle of the tank and it has not had any problems until recently. thinking it might be the flow honestly because it happened sometime around the rearrangement of my rocks. 

All leathers shrink at night.

They do enjoy a decent flow otherwise detritus and algae build on them which eventually causes them to shrink up more and stayed closed to shed.

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

All leathers shrink at night.

They do enjoy a decent flow otherwise detritus and algae build on them which eventually causes them to shrink up more and stayed closed to shed.

suggestions for what to do? i have a 30g all in one tank so i cant really mess with the flow. 

Just now, dmitriy loos said:

suggestions for what to do? i have a 30g all in one tank so i cant really mess with the flow. 

also it was a hitchiker coral and the first one i got and this problem happened just recently so not sure what changed.